Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fire arm season 2016.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Fire arm season 2016.

Well I am not my normal self this year when opening day of fire arm deer season is worse than Christmas for a 10 year old. I have not spent a lot of time in the woods and fields around me this year. All due to the 2 Knee surgery's I've had and not wanting to do a repeat of my 3 hour visit in ER with the first knee, when I went ground hog hunting with friends and tripped in some tall grass and split the incision open. So I have been staying away from uneven footing and tall grass 87 day with this right knee.
Kare had not wanted me to climb up in any of my blinds to evict the summer tenants but she was not home yesterday so I did that.
This year all the farm fields next door across the road and behind me were planted to soy beans so we are not getting the normal deer traveling to the corn fields around us. Nearest corn field is half mile north and about the same west of me. Throw in the legal baiting some here do, so the normal travel patterns have really changed.

Just not into it this year like normal, beats Christmas any day for me normally.

Al
Old 11-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Opening morningwith a waning super moon, well above normal temptures. Woods as dry as a oldbone and has not had rain so long the leaves are ankle deep. Morning air damp,many places in Michigan reported fog to thick you could not see 30 feet.

Totaldeer seen None. Number of shots nearby in the morning 3 from different placesafternoon and evening 6 total, 3 from one location.

Need airconditioning in the deer blinds.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 11-15-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

44F, feels like 41F, at 4:00am is 55F at 12:00pm.
Saw a pair of does at 7:52am the one was older you couldtell and she was wheezing really bad. I heard her coming before I saw her andthought she was a trespassing old hunter. Lots of leaves still on the iron woodtrees along the creek. I used the range finder and the farthest I can see alongthe creek is one lane 52 yards. A lot ofiron wood trees holding leaves at this blind site need a real good wind andsome rain would be nice too.
Just a few squirrels in the afternoon till 4:50 pm then asmall racked buck came from the west down a drainage wash out to the flats lookwith the binocs confirmed he was a 3 point I had gotten a picture of midsummer.Only the second day of the season so I wasn’t ready to give up my tag on suck asmall racked buck. Then at 5:10 a doescomes from the east all alone.
Still need to have air in the deer blind, probably bewishing for some of the heat Sunday when they are forecasting a high of 39Fwith rain and snow.

Al
Old 11-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Real warm this morning at 56F, blind got hot inside by noon so picked a different one after dinner hoping the south wind would keep the insides cooler. I stuck it out but think would have been more comfortable just propped up against a tree and taken a nap in the sun shine. set a new day time high of 71F
Saw that wheezing doe again as I was packing up to quit for the day. Funny she can put her head down and graze and not wheez but once she lifts her head to look for danger she started in again.
Kare asked me if I thought it was CWD, body seems sound and coat is sleek

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 11-19-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Could be bovine tuberculosis. If so...not good.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The TB zone is 3 hours north of here. Also she only wheezes when her head is up looking around not when her head is down grazing. I think with TB she would wheeze all the time.

Al
Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

42F wind chill 33F
Windy and cold this morning and dropping. Kept the southwindow in the blind shut all morning with the wind changing directions. By noonit was snowing pretty hard but not sticking to the ground which was still warmfrom Fridays heat.
Saw one little does and that was in the morning. She wasspooked by a falling tree branch and I never saw another deer the rest of theday.

Al
Old 11-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

32F feels like 21F wind NW @ 17mph. by 9:30 am it was down to 32 with a wind chill of 18F and 25 mph winds. Glad the wood burner was fired up as I came in frozen.
4:40pm in my front yard, first seen at 2:30, he was chasing does.
Buck hammer ruined the heart and lungs he went about 10 feet. I call him a 7 1/2 as one brow tine is broken off.

Al