Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nocturnal Deer??

Old 11-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Spike

Default Nocturnal Deer??

Hello fellow hunters, lately the past few years hunting has been seeming to get worse and worse. in still getting trail camera pictures of lots of does and bucks. But they are all at night during rifle season. What causes this and what can i do to help, we have 80 acres of our own land and this year only 2 people are hunting it. Might they be hiding in the swamps with this warm weather?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more Hunting Pressure the Smarter and more Nocturnal the Older/Bigger Bucks get....only thing to do is to learn to Hunt Smarter,Longer and hope the Bucks will make a mistake during the Rut?If You see Doe's the Bucks will show up but You need to hunt where they are be it a food source like a food plot,clover field or in the woods where the acorns are or in the thick stuff where they feel safe.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 11-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Banned

That's just how deer are. Some property's they feel more comfortable moving in the daylight and others have to move at night. Eventually if you put in the hours in the stand you will get rewarded. Just tough it out
Old 11-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

You have 80 acres, how is this property set up i.e. what percentage Harwood, softwood, field, swamp etc... How does this compair to the abutting properties? Where do the deer typically bed and how far from the bedding areas are you setting up? With the warmth this year are they heading to water prior to feeding? What is the primary food source.

I take it you have your cameras at the food source, what route will they take between the bedding area and the food source? Can set up and intercept them. I would believe the deer are still moving though maybe later but still in shooting light.

You do not have an easy question, many variables....
Old 11-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
The more Hunting Pressure the Smarter and more Nocturnal the Older/Bigger Bucks get....
+10

That's it in a nut shell.

The only reason we kill any of the big boyz, is because sex has clouded their minds.

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-06-2016 at 05:53 PM.