Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When to grunt call

Old 10-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default When to grunt call

Is this a decent time of year to try and grunt one in pre rut? Buddy of mine had one come in to a grunt but it could've just been a young one being curious. What about rattling this time of year?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes for both. Any time past the third week in October has worked for me.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep they are starting to spar heavily and in some states already fighting. So a challenge grunt this time of year would be an excellent choice. If you were to do some rattling, try to simulate a good heavy sparring through this week and start using a more "fight base" rattle next week or so. The big mature bucks DO know the difference amazingly. And they do get call/rattle educated rather quickly. They didn't get mature by being retarded
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

When it comes to grunting there are a few right ways to do it and alot of wrong ways to do it. What may be good during the full rut probably isn't right just when the rut is getting going. Here's some good articles I think will help you. I will say I don't support or disapprove of the use of the specific calls in the articles.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ar...hitetail-bucks

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ar...for-your-bucks

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ar...g-sounded-like

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-25-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a you tube video from a world champion grunt caller showing how to properly use a grunt in early season like now. But youtube is loaded with tutorial typee videos to actually show you how the calls should be presented.

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-25-2016 at 09:14 AM.