Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Better to "miss" (but still hit) high, or low? >

Better to "miss" (but still hit) high, or low?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Better to "miss" (but still hit) high, or low?

Old 10-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Spike

Default Better to "miss" (but still hit) high, or low?

I'm a newish hunter and use a 1960's rifled slug gun with an aperture sight (which limits my shots to about 60 yards). I'm deadeye for windage but have trouble estimating distance for elevation.

Assuming the shot could be as much as 4 inches low from the aiming point (an extreme case that hasn't happened often in practice), which of the following would seem better?

1.) Aim high (but still "on" the deer) and perhaps hit a bit higher than expected if the drop is less than expected, or,

2.) Aim right where I'd prefer to hit, and risk hitting low if the drop is more than expected.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on that, as well as any other ways to compensate for unknown distance/drop.

Thanks in advance!

Matthew
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll just grab some popcorn...
Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

At 60 yards, you "should be" hitting where you are aiming.

Do you know this one - "Aim small, Miss small"

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-24-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aim for the middle of the chest. If you're 4 inches high or 4 inches low you still have a dead deer.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
At 60 yards, you "should be" hitting where you are aiming.
At 60 yards, the front bead of my aperture sight completely (but barely) covers a paper plate. I can reliably get a shot into it but not necessarily the center.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt

I'll just grab some popcorn...
Grabs a coke and a smile and settles in with ya to watch the show
Old 10-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long does a hunter last,

if he misses his shot completely or doesn't down a deer with a hitting shot. With groups of young hunters the pressure is on to make good shots. The countdown to a hunters future is closely watched by fellow hunters. How long one lasts with fellow hunters, may mean how long one last with his hunting buddies and how long one lasts in hunting, entirely.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might want a slug scope with cross hairs from 50yds to 300yds...

leupold ultimate slam 3-9x

and a range finder?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

At 60 yards your rifled slug gun should be right on, mine can hit a target fairly accurately out to 200 yards, i have a newer one with a scope. Maybe get a range finder, like was mentioned, or a new gun as yours might be worn out? Good luck & welcome to the board Midwestmatthew.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Spike

I hunt alone, so there's no pressure to deal with other than my own need to fill the freezer. I also don't have funds for any more equipment, so what I've got will have to do. It was good enough last year, as the only deer I ever shot at went down in his tracks. Obviously I wouldn't take a shot at all if I didn't think it was a humane one no matter what, but knowing how to handle the margin for error is important in any discipline and that's what I was hoping to get advice for here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.