Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Camo endorsed by a squirrel.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:30 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Camo endorsed by a squirrel.

I was sitting in my pop-up blind today and heard something behind me. I looked out the right side window and saw a squirrel on a fallen log coming toward me. The log ends a foot or two from my blind. I ducked my head back, hoping that the squirrel would not see me and start barking at me. The next thing I knew, The squirrel smashes into the side of the tent about 3 feet from the ground. The little idiot must have thought that he was hopping onto one of the tree limbs that are printed on the camo pattern. I almost burst out laughing but I was a little worried that he was going to jump in the window...I heard him circle the blind and saw him jump up on another log and run away.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

My dad had a similar experience in one of my hub blinds. He said a squirrel jumped onto the roof of the blind with him in it. It freaked out once it realized it didn't land on a tree limb and quickly jumped off and ran away.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, Ive had that happen a few times for I really enjoy hunting from pop up blinds. I have also had chicadees try to land on what they thought was a branch to only find it was the side of the blind!!!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Purchased a ground blind over the summer, so this is the first season I've hunted from a ground blind. I actually enjoy it more than hunting from a stand. You definitely do have some close encounters, which makes the hunt more interesting!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you do. Very first time I hunted out of a ground blind I wasn't in it for 2 hrs and took an 8ptr from it at just a tad over 30yds with a ML!!! My ex had talked me into getting it the night before and I had a place in mind to put it up in a patch of honeysuckle. Cut out a hole before I left that day. Bought it that night, left it out in the rain overnight to descent it a bit. Put it up next AM in the dark, 2 bag lawn chairs and deer down 2 hrs later!!!! Sat during a pouring rain and we were dry and actually enjoyed the trip. I brushed that blind in with brush from the honeysuckle patch and a few tree limbs to add to it. Looked really good when I looked back after getting the deer. I am glad you like your blind and the more you use it, you will buy more of them and deploy to trade out hunting them to keep from overhunting the same one.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

many years ago had a paire of chipmunks becomes friends while hunting a whole week on bear stand--actually came to hand for peanuts after a few days---were great scouts as they would scurry away when any predator was coming anywhere near us. left them a whole bag of nuts when I left
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say anything against your observation but will say that I have had a squirrel jump onto my tent when camping, solid green tent. Think it might be they believe it is more solid then they thought, then again if they jumped to what would be a branch on yours then I would suspect they thought it was real.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

This is the 3rd blind I have purchased. I have made blinds in the past, with camo burlap and sticks....An absolute hassle and I think it ends up costing as much as a cheaper blind. The first blind I bought was a little pop doghouse blind. My son took his fist deer on youth deer day an hour after getting in the blind. He took his first buck from there as well as another doe the next season. I have killed A bear and 3 deer from that blind. It's funny that is started off stump sitting, enduring freezing rain. Then I built a chain on stand made of plywood, 2x4's, and rope. heavy, cumbersome and loud as hell. I moved to another chain on that I bought...then a couple climbers before going to a blind. I have say that I love being able to sit comfortably in the rain. Although I don't sleep as well in the blind as I used to in my Summit climbing stand. I used to nap in that thing all the time.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have also had chicadees try to land on what they thought was a branch to only find it was the side of the blind!!!

Hunkered amid the branches of cedar tree, I had a bird land on my rifle once. Flew right by my ear and startled the daylights out of me.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
This is the 3rd blind I have purchased. I have made blinds in the past, with camo burlap and sticks....An absolute hassle and I think it ends up costing as much as a cheaper blind. The first blind I bought was a little pop doghouse blind. My son took his fist deer on youth deer day an hour after getting in the blind. He took his first buck from there as well as another doe the next season. I have killed A bear and 3 deer from that blind. It's funny that is started off stump sitting, enduring freezing rain. Then I built a chain on stand made of plywood, 2x4's, and rope. heavy, cumbersome and loud as hell. I moved to another chain on that I bought...then a couple climbers before going to a blind. I have say that I love being able to sit comfortably in the rain. Although I don't sleep as well in the blind as I used to in my Summit climbing stand. I used to nap in that thing all the time.
They make nice blinds to be in with a small Mr. Heater and a few spare bottles of fuel in the snow all kicked back in the chair and a Heater Body Suit. Can sit from 1hr before 1st light to dark without so much a worry.