Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting State Land Advise?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Find the thickest nastiest stuff around. Go in before first light and sit tight don't leave until it is too dark to shoot. Let other hunters run the deer to you. When pressured deer will head to places people won't go. If you have a swamp, go there. Don't be afraid to get wet, muddy and miserable. Take a pack frame and bone the deer out where it hits the ground if legal. Drag marks tell others where you killed a deer. No reason to advertise a good spot.
There is a place that I put my trail cam that is swampy and the river is right by there as well. Really thick and a rub line . Put the cam there for 5 months but just kept seeing the same 2 does every couple days.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gettings21
There is a place that I put my trail cam that is swampy and the river is right by there as well. Really thick and a rub line . Put the cam there for 5 months but just kept seeing the same 2 does every couple days.

Did you read what I posted? When the deer are pressured by hunting they will head to the thick stuff. If you put trail cams up before they are pressured then they won't be there yet. Make sense? And if there is a rub line, it ain't being made by the does which means there are bucks around. My bet is when the bullets fly they will get in the thick stuff. I'd be there before the sun comes up on opening day. What do you have to lose?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gettings21
Eating gets a lot less important in the rut. But Deer got to eat, their diet is generally low nourishment, they make that up in quantity. Especially in the fall when they feel winter is coming.

I've noticed on numerous occasions, the Doe come out to forage and mature Bucks let them run interference for them. The Buck may not break cover until half an hour or longer after the Doe start feeding. And then will often keep a distance, 50 yards or more.

What I'm saying is you see Doe on your game cam. I'd say a fifty fifty chance their is a Buck within fifty yards, a half hour after they show up.

I try to do a scout and mark a path in with tiny pieces of (scentless) toilet paper. The toilet paper also makes it easy to spot subtle wind currents. I follow the toilet paper trail in way early and settle in. Nothing will clear Deer out of an area faster than some big foot crashing brush and making a lot of noise. I try to avoid using Deer trails and make my own.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

A little off topic but the worst part about hunting public lands IMO is leaving your vehicle unattended, Now on days the alarms are a lot better, but it still makes me nervous.

I printed up some small signs, cross hairs in a circle over a thug head shot. And put them one to a side on my Jeep. I always kind of giggle a little when some guy comes up to check your ride out, sees the sign and it suddenly dawns on him you may be watching him in your scope.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Saw dust area off Norway lake road West of 24 has the Flint river running thru it? There is a marshy area north of McKeen lake road th southern part of the unit. I think would be your best bet. I would still would wear my chain link mail opening week end when hunting any Public land South of the Mackinaw bridge opening week end of Fire arm season.

Al
Old 09-25-2016, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

If there is a river and it is deep enough to prevent crossing that alone would be something I would gravitate towards to try to get on the back side. There is usually a way to cross for those determined to find it and the area will be lightly hunted which will be a place where the deer will go to when the orange army advances.