Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Looking for a mentor in South Eastern Kansas >

Looking for a mentor in South Eastern Kansas

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for a mentor in South Eastern Kansas

Old 08-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default Looking for a mentor in South Eastern Kansas

Hi all, new to the forum and to the sport. I grew up in a fishing household and no one in my immediate family hunts so I'm looking for a mentor to show a new guy the ropes. I live in South Eastern Kansas, roughly 2 hours east of Wichita. I do not have a rifle yet but I'm working on getting that. I do have some camo and safety orange. I am more concentrated on learning right now vs actually shooting something. I also have my hunters safety. If anyone can help or willing to be a mentor to a newbie, please let me know!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome heartland, glad that you took hunters safety. I hope they're a few guys from eastern Kansas to help out? Your starting out good so far, stay in touch either way, and shoot, practice with your weapon, get efficient, and track blood trails till the end.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gjersy
Welcome heartland, glad that you took hunters safety. I hope they're a few guys from eastern Kansas to help out? Your starting out good so far, stay in touch either way, and shoot, practice with your weapon, get efficient, and track blood trails till the end.
Thank you... I hope so too
Old 08-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking you could use a good scope and a flat shooting cartridge, out there? I love my .300 it has shot deer from 10 yards to 580 yards. Anyway what gun do you have?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or should i say what rifle are you thinking of getting?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Banned

In my part of the state, your opportunity to shoot past 150yds is very small so im going with a 243
Old 08-19-2016, 05:11 PM
Banned

Which I figured I could use for some springtime coyote hunting
Old 08-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, that has worked for many guys, it's a flat shooter for sure, I just prefer a bit bigger caliber for Whitetail anyway. Just make your shot counts and account for the wind out there. I recommend a .308?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Banned

I feel that might be a little big for me...im a smaller frame guy
Old 08-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

.243 is a great round for a deer and varmint hunter. Only thing I'd say is don't aim for the shoulder, directly, but behind it, since the bullet is small and might not punch through both shoulders to create an exit wound. I personally like being able to take shoulder shots with my .308, since it tends to decrease the margin of error when shooting offhand without time to use a rangefinder (shoot left=vitals; right=miss; up=spine/instant kill; and down=heart shot); I also believe it keeps deer from running as far. But that's up to you---shoulder shots are really just a convenience and not a necessity. Undoubtedly some on here would claim its unforgivable wickedness and a waste of meat, but to each their own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.