Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tonight;s Buck Moon

Old 07-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Tonight;s Buck Moon

WHY TONIGHT'S FULL MOON IS CALLED A 'BUCK MOON'

Tonight's full moon is called a "buck moon" in North America.

The moon will be at its fullest at 6:57 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time tonight, though it will not be visible to North Americans until sometime around 8 p.m. on the East Coast, when the moon rises above the horizon. The moon will technically be in its waning gibbous phase by the time it is visible to North American eyes, but will still appear full.

Names of moons often date back to Native American tribes, and early European settlers. They helped keep track of seasons, and important events at those times. August's full moon, for example, is called the Sturgeon Moon, named for the species of fish that is best caught in the Great Lakes at around that time, according to the Farmer's Almanac.

The name "buck moon" is one of three names given to the moon in North America in July because it arrives during the time when male deer, called "bucks," are beginning to grow their antlers. Other names include the "hay moon," when farmers are beginning to store their hay, and "thunder moon," for the number of thunderstorms that occur at this time, as the Almanac noted.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/19/why-t...213&yptr=yahoo
Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Myself this moon is more in time with the hay and the thunder. Deer around here have plenty of headgear going already. But who knows? Ages ago it might have been different.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I read that earlier. The part about deer starting to grow their antlers in August made for a good laugh.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Brainacs who know nothing about animals come up with some of the dandiest stuff.
Bucks in my area usually are well on there way to some type of head gear buy mid may or earlier.

I agree with the hay moon although farmers have changed how/when they do hay. Most farmers in this are have all their haying done and are wanting those thunder storms with the rain to get the second cutting to grow.

Al