Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what a beautiful day!!

Old 10-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what a beautiful day!!

today i was off and wanted to hunt when i got home from school.....well...i had a choice....smoke pole or 12 ga for rats.....i grabbed the small game jacket and the 12ga....i told you i wasnt going to take the gun out again until i knew it was dead on....i didnt.....i was still hunting and stand hunting all in the same mix...speed still hunting spot to spot and taking stand at the spots that looked likely...well one of the spots i heard something coming...got my gun ready..look below me in the creek bottom......a BUCK! a nice little beautiful basket rack....i got to watch him for over a minute....he was rutting hard it looked like...looked like he was trailing a doe...then he went over to a sapling and tore it up...so neat to watch..man that got my heart going...he was about 40 yards away then made his way up a hillside but it was open so i watched him the whole time...his spread was just about as wide as the middle of his ears....not huge...but not a baby....i dont think id take him yet...but great to see....then i went to a nice little ridge and heard something coming..once again i got ready hoping a tree rat was coming my way....2 deer...came within 20 yards of me....so close i could see one was a button buck...the other must have been a yearling doe....wheres there mother?? i hope their mother wasnt the one that got away the other day....but they looked like they were doing fine without her...they could tell somehting wasnt right but couldnt pick me out...smart for only being a couplea months old...then the wind blew..swirled all around but mostly into my back...deer went to the right...they were trying to wind me..they knew something ws wrong but didnt know what...what a great day...she would been a perfect shot with the flinter....but id be pretty upset if i lost her too....so i just smiled and told them id be back......i cant wait....them deer were really on the move today!!! see guys....i did learn a lesson and kept my word........
Old 10-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what a beautiful day!!

I knew you would Mauser06 ,
you sounded pretty down on yourself on the last post . There' s nothing like a taste of crow to keep a man honest . Good going !