Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Layering Clothes

Old 10-21-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Layering Clothes

Need some advice for layering my clothes for hunting. To be more specific for the late November gun season in Wisconsin. I have been hunting for many years and the weather is hard to predict from one year to the next, and I am tired of getting cold on the stand.

How many layers and what materials are best.

I have some midweight polypropylene top and bottoms. Should I pick up a set of lightweight polypropylene or silk liners to put under that or just use the midweight as the base layer against the sikin?

I was then thinking of a insulated flanel top (if needed) and my blaze orange insulated coat for the top. For pants I have some Columbia Gatlyn wool pants, so I think with the midweight bottoms and the wool I should be alright. What about socks, do I need a liner under the wool socks? I have a poypropylene stocking for my head a fleece neck gator.

My other fear is that if the base layer gets sweaty will it wick the sweat and moisture away so I will not have to worry about scent for the next day, or do I need a new base layer for each day to avoid scent contamination?

Thanks for all your thoughts and input on keeping warm this season.

UpNorth
Old 10-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Layering Clothes

It sounds like you have your bases covered already UpNorth .
The poly undies will wick the sweat , the rest you decide by a current weather report . Dress for the coldest temp expected that day , you can always take something off . Get a scent free platic bag to contain what you peel off to avoid stinking up the North Woods . Good luck 1
Old 10-22-2003, 12:31 PM

It sounds like you' ve got the right idea with the layers. The only thing I would add is that I usually try to bring a few sets of base layering because after a day in the woods, my synthetic base layer usually stinks to high heaven.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the response guys. So using the midweight polypropylene for the base is okay, and just put on a fresh one the next day, or should I layer under this with a lightweight? Any recommendations for the next layer, fleece, wool, or something with a wind stop? I would like to have a few layers to strip when I am on a drive or dragging deer.

Last question, do I need a layer under my wool socks?

Thanks!!
Old 10-23-2003, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

If your outerwear is sufficiently insulated the midweight should be fine , the weather report will determine whether or not you should add or subtract . Wool would be my choice for an outer layer with poly if temps are very low , fleece if more temperate . Considering how cold your state can get in Fall and Winter , wool is the best all around choice if you have a first layer to avoid itching . AbScent makes undergarments that block our smell too , you might want to check them out .

You can layer your wool socks if your boots don' t have enough insulation , my choice would be a poly sock for wicking , or a nylon/aluminized mylar sock . Alternatively , you could try insulated overboots .

Our Indiana Winter temps may be lower than yours , but I' m a world class wuss when it comes to being cold !
Old 10-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Northern Minnesota near Embarrass which is one of the coldest spots in the US. For November deer season, I walk in with just sweats and a sweatshirt which I then take off and put on the polyprop underwear and then the Fleece as a midlayer and Browning hydrofleece jacket. I' ve found that fleece is so warm for me that I have to take it off if I' m walking to or from the stand or I get way too overheated. Can' t go wrong with wool either...
Old 10-23-2003, 08:42 PM

don' t forget your Grabber McCool' s or whatever brand of chem handwarmers.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:24 PM

I' m up in the Lake Superior snow belt and love the cold! It get' s the big bucks moving.

Assuming that you are on stand and not still hunting, I would (do) wear the polypro long john, a pair of sweat pants, my scent pro under garment, then my lined camo woolies. Last year I bought a wool / windstopper sweater. This thing is awesome. A polypro top, the sweater, scent pro top and my fleece/berber top and I' m good to go. A good wool pull over hat on top of the scent pro head cover to top it off. Again, for sitting only, I use my old Mickie Mouse boots. If it' s really cold I will use the toe warmer packs in my boots...they work great.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I know what I need to get to round out the layers now. I was checking out Bass Pro online for some fleece or wool with windstop, but their selection is really really crappy compared to Cabelas. I wanted to find something in non-camoflouge so I can get more use out of it, other wise there where a some camo items that fit the bill. I usually buy from Bass Pro because I have the rewards program.

I guess I will just have to get what I need from Cabelas.

Thanks Again!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: UpNorth

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I know what I need to get to round out the layers now. I was checking out Bass Pro online for some fleece or wool with windstop, but their selection is really really crappy compared to Cabelas. I wanted to find something in non-camoflouge so I can get more use out of it, other wise there where a some camo items that fit the bill. I usually buy from Bass Pro because I have the rewards program.

I guess I will just have to get what I need from Cabelas.

Thanks Again!!!
Hey. Cabelas and Bass Pro are great stores and I' ve spent much money with them. But, if you' re just looking for good quality, basic, *non camo* pile and wool pullovers, jackets, vests, poly pro t shirts, rain gear, gore tex, etc. check out Campmor. Good quality name brand stuff at good prices as well as their own Campmor brand which is generally inexpensive but excellent quality. I' d say Cabelas, REI and Campmor are my big three for clothing items, with Campmor generally being the cheap (but good) alternative. -zeke

Quick Reply: Layering Clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.