Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scopeless stalking with a Winchester '94 >

Scopeless stalking with a Winchester '94

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopeless stalking with a Winchester '94

Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 PM
Spike

Nice, and a beautiful rifle!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jdboogren
My apologies for being offline for so long, and thanks to ALL who have posted. So I've been out to camp shooting like its nobody's business ('cause it isn't)... I'm going to follow the advice of a few folks who responded, and I'm going to take four rifles on this trip, and play a version of Russian Roulette. Each of the following four guns will get two days of carry (rotating each day for eight days):

1921 Savage 250-3000 model 99 lever: Can only get 87 grain to stabilize well, and that was some hard to find ammo.

Circa 1946 Mauser model 98 bolt action with set and hair triggers: very accurate weapon, not sure if its the hair trigger, but very tight in a 3" diameter center at 300yds. shoots 270 WCF

Remington 308: Short / light gun with a little kick. I'll probably put this one after the super heavy Mauser in the rotation.

The open sight Winchester commemorative 3030. I'm not-so-secretly hoping this is the one, just 'cause I'll feel a little more manly without the Leopulds Lol.

Thanks again everyone. In the few threads I've posted on this sight (the other about the Savage), I've learned a lot from a lot of very smart hunters and enthusiasts.

Don't worry about being manly. You do you, man. Just focus on having a good time.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have a Winchester '94 that I sometimes use for deer at shorter ranges. I have a Lyman 66A peep sight on it and it does very well. Back in the day very good work was done with peep sights, the older bolt military rifles had them. I think most would agree that they are more accurate then the regular open sight and a lot easier to use with older eyes.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hookeye, what is the savage you got?
-Jake
Old 09-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I luv shootin irons to this day and think it would make the hunt even more satisfying if you keep within your capabilities.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a Savage 99 in .300 Savage once. In a fit of extreme stupidity I traded it for a Ruger 77 in .243 Win for my girlfriend to use. I no longer have the girl or either rifle. Not one of my better decisions.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Spike

I really LOVE my Model 94. Especially since I discovered the 160 grain Hornady Lever Revolution ammo. Got four deer last season. The farthest I had to track one was about 50 yards into the woods. Since I got over the cosmetics and put a side mounted scope all is good up to 150yards.