Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help on turning a scaffold into a tower stand >

Help on turning a scaffold into a tower stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help on turning a scaffold into a tower stand

Old 06-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Spike

Default Help on turning a scaffold into a tower stand

I've got 6 sections of scaffolding which when assembled would be about 15 feet high at the floor. I'm hoping someone here may have some ideas for turning it into a 5x7 tower box blind. I plan on hunting with a rifle & crossbow. Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Making box blinds for on the ground or up in the air is very easy to do. A simple google or even a search on this site should get you some good ideas. It's really as simple as buying some good plywood, doing the proper measurements for the windows, etc. and doing it. The corners and top can all be screwed together by using 2x2s. I'll find a couple pictures of one I did from the start using the 2x2s and it finished and assembled out in the swamp with steel covering the wood and painted to match the foliage. The windows are real glass hinged to drop down so it's easy and quiet to open them and not have to use anything to hold them open like you would need to do if they lifted. If you are going up in the air with one like you are mentioning, you'll need to anchor the sections together and then really anchor it at the corners down into the ground with some heavy cables to keep it in place, especially in an area where you get plenty of wind like you probably do in OK. Put carpet on the floor and with it anchored solid it should do the job for you.
Attached Thumbnails Help on turning a scaffold into a tower stand-blind-005.jpg   Help on turning a scaffold into a tower stand-finished-blind-001.jpg   Help on turning a scaffold into a tower stand-blind-016.jpg  

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-07-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add on
Old 06-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to go that high, you will want to also go down at least 4 ft, to prevent tipping over. Scaffolding when going that high, works the best when its attached to something solid and immovable.
And remember, its going to click and squeak as you move around on it.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Spike

I was thinking of using 3/4 plywood screwed onto 3, 4x4s cabled to the metal poles so it would support the box blind I would screw to it. Guy lines on all 4 corners anchoring with Tposts driven into the ground.

Edited to mention. I do want to pre-assemble it on the ground and then be able to re-assemble it on the scaffold, piece by piece. Thanks for pictures and do you have any which show the box overlapping the floor piece to help hold it to the floor as you screw it to that base?

I'm hunting in thick tall woods and not that windy where I'll be in NE OK. Thanks again.

Last edited by Screamerdreamer; 06-07-2016 at 05:55 PM.