Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Double!

Old 10-20-2003, 07:05 AM

Default Double!

I' m sitting in my climber at 8am yesterday (Sunday) morning watching a pine filled depression and sitting near a trail, hoping to ambush deer as the walk around the depression and head into a swamp behind me. I hear deer moving in the swamp behind me and catch a glimpse of a tail. Well, they' ve gotten around me and are already in the swamp. I' m a little bummed. Suddenly I hear deer spooked on the far side of the depression I' m watching. A big doe comes tearing around the depression and breaks off and heads for the swamp, exactly as I anticipated. Of course I was hoping for a leisurely walk instead of a frantic dash, so although I follow her with the gun, I can' t even think about shooting. Unknown to me (for a few seconds) is that a 4 point buck is right behind her. However instead of breaking off, he comes half circle around the depression and screetches to a halt a few feet from my treestand, looking at me. My gun, of course, is pointed away from him, where the doe disappeared. I freeze, he whirls and makes two bounds and stops about 10 yards away behind a tree. I can see his head and his back end. His chest is obscured by the tree. No way I' m taking a head shot, so I' ve got the gun up, trying to decide whether I can see enough of his lung area to try for a shot. I don' t know what I would have decided cause he took one step forward. I shot him in the base of the neck, just above the shoulder. I' m not an advocate of neck shots, but a ten yards it was plenty big enough. He dropped like a stone. I racked another shell in, and waited to see if he would get up. While I' m waiting, I hear another deer in the depression to my left, and see another one to my right. She is looking in my direction. We both wait about 5 minutes and then she lifts her tail and struts broadside through the depression. Too brushy to shoot. She then turns and heads to my left in the direction of the swamp. Just as she exits the brush, she freezes cause she sees the dead buck. I had been watching her, trying to decided if she was big enough to shoot. Now or never. I shot her behind the front shoulder, and she ran off. I heard her crash a few seconds later. I got out of the stand, found a good blood trail and found her easily. A double! Gutted them, dragged them out, tagged them, hung them, and still made it to church on time to teach Sunday School. A good day.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:24 AM

Default RE: Double!

Congradulations and God bless
Old 10-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats !
Old 10-20-2003, 02:36 PM

its great to hear someone whos happy about getting a doe, good for you and great story
Old 10-20-2003, 04:17 PM

Good for you! thanks for sharing
Old 10-20-2003, 04:57 PM

what a nice story
Old 10-20-2003, 06:06 PM

Very nice NNY,
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:09 PM

CONGRATS!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:23 PM

CONGRATS on taking a DOE[>:]
Old 10-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats,enjoy the meat!!

Quick Reply: Double!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.