Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Usual problem: no deer

Old 10-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Spike

Default Usual problem: no deer

Another frustrating beginning to the season: lots of sign but no deer in sight, morning or evening. Anybody else face this problem? I' m in southeast Massachusetts, not Wisconsin, but there are still supposed to be 25-35 deer/square mile heer. When I get done being frustrated, and try to think it out, I think I' m pretty quiet on stand, I don' t smell (much, anyway), I' m hunting areas where there are lots of deer (scat, tracks, trails everywhere, some rubs and scrapes -- although still not many), evenings and mornings between open food and likely beds. Does it all come down to this: I' m too far from their beds and so not catching them in legal light? So is the basic answer (the one I kind of fear, because it takes a lot more work and especially swampwalking), finding their beds and getting right up next to them, almost in them? If you know there' s deer, but you don' t see them on trails, is it time to head for the beds?
Old 10-19-2003, 05:40 PM

Default RE: Usual problem: no deer

I think that they' re nocturnal. We' re getting out of a full moon phase right now. Have patience grasshopper....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-20-2003, 05:34 AM

I didnt see any deer or bear this weekend here in WV opener. We had a good bit of rain friday that stopped around 9pm that night. So the deer fed all evening and laid down all day. [:' (]
Old 10-20-2003, 02:39 PM

maybe you should find where they bed and where they feed and sit in the middle and try to catch them off guard as they travel between the two places, and also, have you tried any calling? Good luck!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:17 PM

good answer willtill! my thoughts exactally.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:43 PM

maybe the problem is that you are waiting for the deer to come to you. you have to either go to the deer or MAKE them come to you