Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in Texas

Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Try texashuntingforum.com Usually lots of leases there.
This site is pretty good and there is also leasehunter.com. I've seen leases there for $700 or so. The advice for Ft Hood is also good advice and there is also Ft Bliss by El Paso and the Navy owns a place called Escondido Ranch by San Antonio. As retired military I have access to all of those.

I've also had a couple of places offer me the opportunity to hunt does. Many places have too many does and they like to thin them down. So if all you want is to hunt meat, which is why i hunt, this is an option. Bucks, especially big bucks represent serious $$$ in TX so nobody is going to let you hunt them for nothing unless you are family or a long time friend. But those same places will welcome doe hunters particularly later in the season. Hogs can be had for almost nothing across the whole state. You can find hunting but it takes some legwork.

Despite the good hunting to be had in TX, I still go home to CO for deer.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

back in the early 80's my dad told me one day, the day will come when if you don't own land around here you won't be able to afford to hunt.
In 1986 I got togather with a bunch of other hunters and we purchased 11,587 acres, we then bought 4200 more in 1992, dad passed in 88 but I still thank him for that bit of advice, I will the rest of my life have a place to hunt, when I'm gone it will go to my daughter.
RR
Old 01-19-2016, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Texas is unlike any other hunting state

First it a large state. You can start a drive in Texas in the morning and end up that evening in Texas. It has relatively little public land for its size.
It is fairly arid in many places and has fewer animals to hunt.
Some places depend on hunting to help pay the expenses of the "ranch". And there are no 200 acre ranches, because 200 acres won't support a "ranch".
The hunters will hunt out of standing "hut" with a bait station some 60 yards away. It's a problem of attracting deer to one place on some 10,000 acres that day. Texas is much bigger than the deer herd.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Texas is unlike any other hunting state

First it a large state. You can start a drive in Texas in the morning and end up that evening in Texas. It has relatively little public land for its size.
It is fairly arid in many places and has fewer animals to hunt.
Some places depend on hunting to help pay the expenses of the "ranch". And there are no 200 acre ranches, because 200 acres won't support a "ranch".
The hunters will hunt out of standing "hut" with a bait station some 60 yards away. It's a problem of attracting deer to one place on some 10,000 acres that day. Texas is much bigger than the deer herd.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BRUSE
What part of Texas are you looking at? It is expensive but there are exceptions those are really hard to find. If you are in central Texas look at fort hood. You can purchase a permit to hunt rates varies by status military, retired, civilian. I was lucky enough to find two small
Farms to hunt. I worked around and helped as needed and got access really cheap. They are out there it's just the approach. It took me 2 years to get access on one but its full of hogs and deer. Good luck on your search
Bruce,

We are in DFW, but husband is willing to drive. He is also in the Army
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by laboe
Bruce,

We are in DFW, but husband is willing to drive. He is also in the Army
Check out Ft Hood. It is only a couple hrs south of DFW and you can hunt whitetail, hogs and free ranging exotics on it.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also lots of National Forrest land. Mostly in East Texas. Lots of hard competition though.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Spike

Actually the "hard" competition is usually only there on the first three weekends. You can reach areas that are practically wilderness in those national forests with a canoe easily. Or if you know how to use a compass and can actually navigate while hiking. Hunting thick forest is the hard part but lack of deer and feral hogs is not the issue. Last I have never met Game wardens that were more related to jackasses in my life than those in east Texas.