Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Compound Vs. Crossbow

Old 10-18-2003, 07:40 AM

Default Compound Vs. Crossbow

What is the big difference between a compound and crossbow as far as knock down power and such? Why don' t many people hunt with a crossbow?
Old 10-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Compound Vs. Crossbow

Why not check the Bowhunting forum?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:44 AM

Never been there. Can you use broadheads with crossbows?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:54 AM

Some people think they are too much like a gun. Lets keep it simple in archery, right? Wisker biscuits, overdraws, carbon arrows, expanding broadheads, just like the indians did. Just kidding, to each his own. We had a handicapped shooter at our annual 3-d shoot this year who called and asked for permission to use it at the shoot. Our club has forty members and this actually led to a discussion. It is a touchy subject with some people. Like the bow, the crossbow kills by hemorrage so there is no more knock down power. There is a farther range and the availability to aim with a rifle scope. The arrow or bolt is shorter, can be accurately shot a greateer distances, and is just as lethal as a regular arrow. I think the biggest objection is it is like a gun with a silencer.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:12 AM

Gryan, THANKS for the great and imformative answer. I also went to the bow section and got one answer quick but he was being a smarta$$. Can you also buy and use the same broadheads with a crossbow as you do with a compound? Once again....THANK YOU!
Old 10-18-2003, 09:18 AM

That I don' t know. Sorry.

Greg
Old 10-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

You use the same broadheads with a crossbow.Most people are against crossbows because they take very little skill to use compared to a regular bow.That is why they are not legal during bow season in many locations.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Ohio where it is legal to use crossbow the whole archery season. Like mentioned before, it is a touchy subject to some people but as long as it is legal i dont see any problem with them. I was never fortunate enough to have someone teach me to shoot a bow so i hunt with a crossbow. I have a compound but still a little " ify" on hunting with it right now. I dont want to wound an animal and have it limping around or die of some nasty infection later on. A cople of guys i know give me a little grief but all in fun about using a crossbow. Here in Ohio those things fly off the shelves more than people think. everwhere you look someone has got one.
You can shoot any broad head that you want out of a crossbow just like a compound. I shot 125GR. Sledge Hammers (mechanicals) last year and the only problem i had was bow is so fast i had to use 2 o-rings so they wouldnt open up in flight. This year i went back to fixed head and carbon arrows. I wouldnt be afraid to take a shot from the ground at 40 to 45 yards because i know my equipment and how it shoots. from the ground where i hunt is flat and obstruction free farm fields. In a stand i wouldn' t take any longer of a shot than you would with a compound.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cardeer is the one who' ll be able to answer all your questions when he reads them.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the answers ya guys!

Quick Reply: Compound Vs. Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.