Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer butchering 101.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Spike

Default deer butchering 101.

Hey all new guy here. I'm getting into butchering my own deer, I've always quartered my deer then droped off at a processor. I'm looking to save money doing it my self. What parts do I use for burger? Can I use shoulder and hams for grind burger? What kinda fat do I add to my burger meat when grinding. Thanks for any
tips.

Last edited by Fivedollardog; 01-08-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the site Fivedollardog, there's lots of threads on it here in fact one on this page. Youtube has lots of info also, i have a good book i bought years ago titled "Dressing & Cooking Wild Game". It goes into all the cuts. As far as the front shoulder i use all but the chuck tender for ground burger, and the rear quarter i take the top,bottom round, the sirloin and eye of round out for roasts and steaks, i freeze them whole so i can decide later what to make them into. I add a little pork meat 10% to my ground venison sometimes, but usually leave it pure. Some guys grind the whole thing into burger so it's kind've up to what you will eat the most of. I can tell you it's fun & satisfying butchering up deer every year.

Last edited by gjersy; 01-08-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I will grind any part of the deer for burger except the tenderloins and back straps. I also do not put any foreign fat in my burger, just don't need it really as long as it is properly cooked.

Al
Old 01-09-2016, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

alleyyooper you need to try the beautiful whole Sirloin tip on the grill, because it's a waste to grind it. And fivedollardog, ignore him and save the sirloin tip from the grinder!!
Old 01-09-2016, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey fivedollardog, another awesome cut for a roast is the neck
Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just like this (LOL);

Old 01-10-2016, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Just saying I will grind all of the deer except as stated, not saying I do.

Al
Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I thought I WAS "fairly" quick skinning but he's got me beat.
but why the heck does he keep stabbing the deer ?it's already dead.lol. after reading the comments below , I have my answer. reliving cartel days.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Go to the Virgina Dept of Fish and Game website. They have a DVD of how to field dress and butcher a deer. The person doing the butchering has a vast amount of experience doing it and does a great job of explaining and demonstrating the process.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up cutting my own meat. I was taught how to do it by my father and both grandfathers. I make my own sausage, jerky, salami etc... as well as steaks, chops, roasts and burger. Frankly I've never understood why so may people pay others to take care of their meat.

As others have noted there are a lot of videos out the. CO has one called "From the field to the table" and it shows them working on a big bull elk and it shows field dressing, caping, quartering, packing it out and cutting and wrapping the meat. I've seen the video and it is pretty good and probably worth the time for the OP to check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.