Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 does for my son

Old 12-04-2015, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2 does for my son

While hunting in WV last week during opening week of rifle, my son managed to take 2 does with one shot. It wasn't intentional, but thankfully worked out for him.

A group of does/fawns (prob 7-8) came running up past him and stopped kinda spread out. He scanned around and picked out a big doe that was broadside maybe 50-60 yds away. At the shot, he saw deer run everywhere, and one was laying where he shot.

Long story short... there was apparently a dink standing directly behind the bigger doe and the bullet went through the big doe (broadside in the lungs) and hit the small doe in the nearside shoulder, and passed through and out behind the offside shoulder. The small one dropped on the spot, big one ran about 50yds and fell over.

Rifle was a Sporterized 7mm Mauser, using 140gr Rem Core Lock bullets. We were surprised - but also happy that it worked out that way. No wounded deer, and he had plenty of tags. I was actually impressed with the penetration/performance of that bullet.

Alot of folks bash corelocks, but a bunch of guys I know use them and they have worked great for them. I know they aren't the best bullet made, but for a factory bullet on whitetail sized game, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. My son has taken about 20 deer with them between his .243 and that Mauser, never had an issue.

Last edited by WV Hunter; 12-04-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the great hunt and story to go with it. A bonus deer and all were killed cleanly is an awesome day afield! I have also used the Rem Core-Lokt bullets since I have been hunting and I am over fifty and have dropped a few.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've lost count of the number of deer I've killed and seen killed with bullets like the Core-Lokt. There is a reason they have been available for decades, they work.