Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frustration!

Old 11-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Spike

Default Frustration!

Missed the biggest buck I've ever taken a shot at this past week. He was chasing a doe, tried everything I could in the few seconds available to stop him... Except snort/wheeze, which never crossed my mind until afterwards. Put the crosshair on his shoulder, pulled the trigger, and missed. Didn't lead him. It's eating at me, but it was a valuable lesson. Hopefully he's still alive, and I get another opportunity at him during the late bow or muzzleloader seasons. Sucks I didn't drop him, but what a rush those 10 seconds were! Sorry for rambling, venting a little frustration. Hope everyone out there is having a more successful season than I have so far!
Old 11-30-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bummer, but that's hunting. Good luck with him.

One thing I wouldn't do is broadcast where you were hunting, unless it was something like "Oh, I was set up in some timber south of the Maryland border...." "Only saw a couple deer, though. Just one lonesome buck. I think it'd be better to hunt another spot and give that one a rest for a day or two and see if anything comes back...."

And, welcome aboard!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It happens......I just missed a big buck for the first time in probably 20 years or so. Not much you can really do besides keep hunting assuming you have practiced enough to shoot lights out on targets and just botched it. Unfortunately there is only really one way to practice on live animals in real situations.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:28 AM
Dominant Buck

It happens...lost count of all the deer I have killed but can remember in all the painful detail my misses. They haunt you forever.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I've been there for sure and it haunts me still. hang in there you'll get another chance.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

In all the many many many years I've been hunting on this old blue marble, I have never missed a deer, never been with an ugly woman, never missed a running rabbit, and never told an untruth Ya believe me don't you???? Come onnnnn Ya know ya do!!!!!

Okay Okay, so I've never been with an ugly woman Back in my drinking days they were ALL beauuuuuttttiiiiifffffuuullll.

Seriously though it happens. Get mad then get over it. I've seen that wonderful white "flipoff" more times than I can count. It's a whitetails way of laughing at you!! Sometimes you can come back at a later date and get the last laugh Sometimes they get the final giggle that year.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Spike

If he was moving fast and you squeezed off with the crosshairs on his shoulder, you would stand a good chance of gut shooting him. Been there and done that. Some people are really good at shooting running deer. I found that I am not so I wont take that shot. The other side of the coin says you cant get them if you don't shoot. You have to do what you feel is best at the moment.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive gone as far as yelling "hey" did you try that or did you just try deer vocalizations?

It's also all about the doe. You have to stop her he won't stop if she don't. Usually yelling at the will do it but you have to be ready to shoot when they stop.

Last edited by rockport; 12-01-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

We've all missed......................and yes, we remember those lost opportunities forever !

Means you're a competitor - just like an athlete who didn't make a play in a big game.

Get back out there and get after them !!!
Old 12-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rockport
Ive gone as far as yelling "hey" did you try that or did you just try deer vocalizations?

It's also all about the doe. You have to stop her he won't stop if she don't. Usually yelling at the will do it but you have to be ready to shoot when they stop.
I tried that on a real nice 8 pointer monday, just made him run faster unfortunately.
-Jake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.