Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Damn Beavers!

Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Spike

Question Damn Beavers!

So, looking for some advice on what to do next.

I own 20+ acres in upstate NY. I have consistently been able to harvest deer from a certain stand because the does follow a stream moving from bedding to feeding areas so the bucks cruise it as well.

In early September I hung my stands in anticipation of another successful year. then because of issues at work, home, and with ISIS didn't make it out at all during archery season.

Opening day of firearms I went to climb into my stand and found the area flooded. Initially I thought that it was due to some heavy rains; but as it got light I realized that a beaver had dammed the stream and flooded the entire stream bottom. I sat in my stand all day without seeing a single deer. But, did get to watch a very busy beaver (no pun intended) working on the dam the entire day.

The next day I found the new trail that the deer were using to get around the flooded area. With some tree cutting I could cover the area during firearms season but not archery.

So, my question: do I leave things as is and adjust my hunting; or do I find a trapper and some recipes for beaver? Other issues I have to consider include that I can't get any equipment into the site to remove the dam so will have to do it by hand making leaving the dam in place easier to deal with. However, I had planned on working with the local agricultural extension to plant some hybrid chestnut trees in the area now flooded; plus damage to all the other trees in the area that the beaver has caused.

Thoughts & suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

A couple of things you can do. Have a trapper get rid of the beavers when trapping season opens if it is not already open in NY. Get permission from the game agency to tear out the dam, at least you have to get permission in PA. However, tearing out the dam will only be temporary and it could be very temporary because I have seen beavers rebuild almost overnight. Once they find a spot they like they are reluctant to give it up. There are tubes you can install in a dam that is perforated and will not allow the beavers to stop the flow of water. I believe the best bet is to call the NY game agency and find out what your legal options are.

www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9976.html I found this for you to give you an idea about the tunes, as it turns out it id from the NY DEC

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-25-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Spike

Thanks for the link! I was going to contact them after deer season to ask that question. I've have the property for 11 years and occasionally have had beavers moving through but never stop. I'm not sure he's going to stay as he is going to have to build a hell of a dam to get the water anywhere deep enough to survive. Still, I know how persistent those little buggers can be.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still, I know how persistent those little buggers can be.
They're like furry chainsaws on your property. I've had problems with them around a pond, and it's amazing what they can do.

BTW, here's something for a good laugh. The guy's response to the state bureaucrat is classic:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/dammed.asp
Old 11-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Like OT said, call a trapper. Tearing out the dam probably isn't legal(would require permits probably) but they'll dam it back up as fast as you can tear it out. They really are amazing animals. But a trapper should be able to get them.
-Jake
Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Spike

Bocanjnala: Thanks for the response. The plan is to possibly tear down the lodge after the beavers are gone. I want the dam gone because even if the beavers are trapped new ones can move in. I've dealt with them before growing up out west so I know how persistent and resourceful they can be. As I mentioned once deer season is over I'll contact NY DEC for further guidance; but wanted to see if other people had some suggestions and experience.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We have always just left them be. The deer adjust their travel patterns around them. Those beaver ponds can be some great duck hunting as well as fishing sites. Over time the beaver take out trees far enough from the water they finally just give up (about 5 years) and move to a new better location, the dam falls in disrepair and allows the area to drain. In just a year you will be amazed at the regrowth of soft woods that deer seem to like.

Al
Old 11-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tankerchief

Opening day of firearms I went to climb into my stand and found the area flooded. Initially I thought that it was due to some heavy rains; but as it got light I realized that a beaver had dammed the stream and flooded the entire stream bottom. I sat in my stand all day without seeing a single deer. But, did get to watch a very busy beaver (no pun intended) working on the dam the entire day.
I can really relate to this. I was hunting public property that had produced a # deer for me. The area was hardwoods that had adjacent private property next to it which consisted of thick pines.
The opening was nearly 100 yds. wide and slightly narrowing. The deer used the opening as a travel route to a farmers field about 1/2 mile away. I came about a month before opening of black powder fully camo'd to sit and watch for deer movement. The whole area was now filled due to the beaver dam and it was spoiled for the following 4 yrs. Something happened to the beaver. Its lodge fell apart and the area finally returned to normal.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-26-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
We have always just left them be.
This would be my course of action as well. It's called nature. The deer won't go anywhere they'll just adjust their travel routes. i see a lot more benefits to having the pond that removing the beavers.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trap them yourself if you have time. Its a lot of fun.

Using kill sets allows you to check them whatever time of day is convenient.

Last edited by rockport; 11-26-2015 at 05:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.