Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Maine Whitetail

Old 11-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Spike

Default Maine Whitetail

I went out hunting today and sat I'm my stand which looks over a heavily traveled deer trail. There is sign all around it. I've seen one smaller doe in there and thats it. I've heard shots all around my stand. All day today I heard shots. What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not being patient.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Do you have a trail cam out? The trail may be heavily used at night though it sounds like you have a lot of pressure around the area, maybe they are throwing the pattern off? Also are you hunting the trail and the wind together?
I have a 10 point running a trail in the 9 pm range, just have to wait for him to make a mistake earlier in the day....
Today the wind was terrible until the late afternoon in the southern part of the state, I didn't hear many shots.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most deer start going more nocturnal when the gunfire starts sounding off. First and last light is when you will be seeing them.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is truly a heavily used deer trail, sooner or later something good will come by. Just hang in there.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Not being patient.
Bingo! Deer can't tell time and they don't care about your schedule. They move at their own pace and you just have to deal with that. Patience is key.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

It has not been cold enough to get the deer moving very good as of yet.. With a few exceptions mostly younger deer are getting shot. They should start moving as the colder weather starts setting in along with the rut picking up pace.. Good Luck to you..
Old 11-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Not being patient.
Ditto to that!