Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Checking out the treestand

Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Checking out the treestand

I went out today to check my trestand, I no longer archery hunt so I didn;t need to be there earlier. I took some tools, nails and screws in case I needed to make repairs and two packs of camo material in case winter destroyed what was up. I parked the truck about 20 yards from the stand and walked towards it and found a fresh scrape just off a deer trail about 15 yds from my stand. While my brother and I were looking at the scrape we heard a buck grunting in the woods, he kept it up for a while. All 5 deer trails within 30 yards of the stand were showing fresh sign of being used. Fixed some minor damage to the stand caused by high winds, check the whole thing for safety, it is now ready to go and so am I.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you done good chosing that spot for a stand.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds good OT. Scrapes, runs and grunting bucks make for a fun hunt. When does rifle start for you? Glad you checked the stand for safety which is the most important step. ...then again I would have expected that. Good luck with the hunt. Mine starts in a few weeks.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

CI, our rifle season always starts on the Monday following Thanksgiving so I have a little while to wait.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Definitely sounds like you have some deer in the area. Especially if you hear them grunting while checking in a stand. Hope it works out for ya
Old 10-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
CI, our rifle season always starts on the Monday following Thanksgiving so I have a little while to wait.
OK now I remember...hunted Pa a couple of times years ago...mostly up north Potter Cty. Our season starts on the Saturday the 14th and goes 2 weeks to the Sunday after Turkey day. We get 5 days off then the 9 day ML season starts. Then it is ice fishing time.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks turkey harvester. CI, I have always thought water was for fishing and ice is for whisky,
Old 10-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I am a multi tasker....I can drink and fish using both water and ice.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great there's such nice sign right there around your stand.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

15th of Nov. here till the 30th then a 7 day break and 3 weeks of Ml season my zone.
Bow season has been going since Oct 1st.

I always though ice was to keep stuff cold in the cooler.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.