Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
how to get your buck out of remote areas >

how to get your buck out of remote areas

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to get your buck out of remote areas

Old 10-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default how to get your buck out of remote areas

I shot a buck 2 miles deep so I did a video on how to get your buck out of remote public areas... People do all sorts of things like quarter them, or just drag by the antlers, but when your that far back in swamp you need a plan...

Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My plan is to call the last buddy that needed my help/ truck to move furniture, lol.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Good info as always. Nice buck.
-Jake
Old 10-25-2015, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Lol, I commented before getting to the ending. Good ending too!
-Jake
Old 10-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

My plan is to always carry a pack frame and at lest 6 game bags. I bone them where they hit the ground. I see no reason to bring out bones, skin and the entire head just to dispose of them later. The edible meat of a mammal usually only amounts to 48% of the live weight. So an average buck of less than 200 lbs would bone down to about 80 lbs. I carry a folding saw so if I decide I want the antlers I can just cut off the top of the skull.

Looking at your vid, 'll stick with mine. Unless you had that sled with you when that deer dropped that means you made an extra trip out to get it. With my way 'm only making one trip and not two. But to each his own.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
My plan is to always carry a pack frame and at lest 6 game bags. I bone them where they hit the ground. I see no reason to bring out bones, skin and the entire head just to dispose of them later. The edible meat of a mammal usually only amounts to 48% of the live weight. So an average buck of less than 200 lbs would bone down to about 80 lbs. I carry a folding saw so if I decide I want the antlers I can just cut off the top of the skull.

Looking at your vid, 'll stick with mine. Unless you had that sled with you when that deer dropped that means you made an extra trip out to get it. With my way 'm only making one trip and not two. But to each his own.
In Wisconsin we can't leave the bones on the property we have to take everything do to CWD laws, and the buck died in water and would of had to be dragged out of the marsh to dry land to cut up anyway... Considering I am already required to take my stand and climbing sticks in and out every hunt, carrying an extra pack frame and butchering equipment would take two trips as well... It actually comes out pretty easy my way. Bears though, we often do have to quarter in the woods due to weight.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Ha! Well done! It still looks like a lot of work! When I kill a buck in a tough spot, I cut them in half...just cut them behind the last rib, pull the tail up to and break the backbone then cut it with my knife... A half a deer for one person is very manageable.. Takes a little more time, of course, but what's the hurry after the tag is filled? I'm not sure it's legal to do that in all states, but it is here.

One thing I advise people to do when they kill a buck is to take their time.. A deer isn't worth a heart attack. Get help...you can't have too many people when it comes to getting a deer out of the woods. Stop a lot...admire your buck....don't push it!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Spike

The sled is a good idea. The only problem I see using something like that where I hunt is the cypress knees. I am going to give this a try next time I shoot another deer. Nice deer as well.