Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Spotted in stand... Should I move? >

Spotted in stand... Should I move?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spotted in stand... Should I move?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Spike

Default Spotted in stand... Should I move?

This weekend bow hunting down here in Florida, I had a buck ive been hunting come within 25 yards and I made the mistake of thinking he couldnt see me as I preped for the shot and he saw me and ran away. I moved my stand bout 30 yards in a different tree. What do you guys think about this? Ive been told that when deer spot you and run that most likely they will enter that area with caution and checking the spot you were seen in. Also do you think that area is ruined for hunting? Its 80 yards from a major and active scrape line (5-6 really hot scrapes, fresh urine in these scrapes when I checked them). Thank you for your input. Im hunting a WMA in Florida.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would move my stand closer to where he "comes from" (100 + yards depending on how thick is is there).

He should be more relaxed prior to nearing the location where you spooked him.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I would move my stand closer to where he "comes from" (100 + yards depending on how thick is is there).

He should be more relaxed prior to nearing the location where you spooked him.
Totally agree.+1
Old 10-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Spike

I moved into a tree with more cover, down here in florida its pretty thick, so getting ranges of 100 + is rare in my area. Hopefully he will show up again and the next time im out there will be with a muzzle loader
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Each deer is different though any deer will be wary once they bust a hunter in a stand. I watched a doe enter a location of a perminant stand I was 50 yards from. The doe walked past me with no issue, slowed, then put her head to the ground neck stretched way forward and stared at the stand. She stood like that for a minute or so then cautiously moved through that zone.
The good thing is the deer may move through that area a couple of times with you no being there allowing the deer to get back to normal
Old 10-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only real rule is there are no rules.

Been my experience when you get busted, mostly smell or sound, sometimes motion, they immediately backtrack (the only really safe direction is the one they just came from). Then about a fifty fifty chance they show up again maybe 45 minutes to an hour later, after they figure out nobody is chasing them.

Most of there predators chase.

If he took off in a panic huffing and breaking brush, he is unlikely to show again soon.

If they learn to equate your smell with danger it is unlikely they will return while your there.

Deer really don't see up very well, there eyes see better horizontally.

If you just spooked him and didn't panic him, he is likely to return. He was likely following his nose the first time, towards something good to eat. That delicious smell is likely still there.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Spike

thanks yall. He was trotting towards me head half way down when he was coming in. Its when i slowly stood up is when he stopped and I stopped as well. He just bounded 4-5 jumps back the direction he came and I didnt see him that day. The rut is bout to be full swing in next couple weeks so I am praying he will be checking the scrape line.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you should be fine, from what you describe he sounds like he is starting to chase a little early. I usually don't see deer trotting with their head down unless they are trailing a doe.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rebel998
This weekend bow hunting down here in Florida, I had a buck ive been hunting come within 25 yards and I made the mistake of thinking he couldnt see me as I preped for the shot and he saw me and ran away. I moved my stand bout 30 yards in a different tree. What do you guys think about this? Ive been told that when deer spot you and run that most likely they will enter that area with caution and checking the spot you were seen in. Also do you think that area is ruined for hunting? Its 80 yards from a major and active scrape line (5-6 really hot scrapes, fresh urine in these scrapes when I checked them). Thank you for your input. Im hunting a WMA in Florida.
See if you can find a tree with a rub, with a scrape right under the rub.
Then set up close to that spot.
That will be the magic spot to get Mr. Big

Good Luck.

Make sure to get a lot of pictures of Mr. Big.