Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Solo? Female...

Old 10-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Solo? Female...

Hi --

It's opening day deer here and I'm sitting here in gobs of sad because I'm not out there. I'm a recent widow of a bow hunter. I'm rifle. I live rural -- within miles and miles and miles of hill-covered grain fields and rivers/creeks. This is the first Opening Day in 40 years that I have not participated in. We'd get one deer and one elk every season, add a couple steelhead, and the freezer would be set for the year. 1/3 acre veg and berry garden plus chickens -- and all I need is to plant a cow. lol.

Anyway, as I was always with my husband, this new widow thing is a drag. The wives don't smile at the thought of the widow hunting with their husbands. My female friends -- not a hunter in the group.

My gun-store owning cousin was suppose to be here right now -- from So. Calif -- but he didn't show at the arrived time and well, people.

SOOOOOO -- how many of you hunt deer alone? I am holding myself back from donning cammo and doing my first alone hunt -- 30-08 and 22 are both sighted and ready.

Safety is on my mind. But so is this itch. :-)

Talk me down? Talk my into it? I dunno. Talk to me! :-)

Heck, maybe I should just go steelheading. <choices. choices>
Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

First, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
Second, Welcome to the site.
Third, To thine own self be true.

I am of the male gender, with that being said, I hunt and fish alone most all of the time. To me, it seems more productive to my goals most of the time balancing just my own schedule when the opportunity to hit the woods field or river arises.

If you have a passion for hunting and fishing then you need to keep nurturing that to some degree or another. It may take a while for you to find the balance that works best for you, but I am sure you will.
Good Luck to you.

I will say I bet there are a few more woman out there that may be in a similar situation as you that would love the chance for the outdoor experience and camaraderie..

Last edited by tndrbstr; 10-17-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Spike

I started bow hunting with my Dad at 12, going with him on the lease he was on with several co-workers -- all guys. They never gave me a hard time. In fact, they seemed to really get a kick out of having me there. I got my first deer there, and they may have been happier than I was. As time went by, the wives of several of them would join us in camp. Some would gun hunt in season, and a couple started bow hunting as well.

In more recent years, I've hunted with my Dad and BIL. This year, I'll be hunting primarily with my brother, although my uncle and cousin will be on the land when gun season starts.

One year Dad, my BIL, and I got on a deer lease in west Texas. Two of the guys on the lease were NOT happy to have me there. They felt they would have to behave differently -- although the only applicable gripe was that they couldn't wear just their bug suits in the hot weather. Dad said he wouldn't want to see them commando, anyway, so they wouldn't have been able to do that, anyway. ;-) They were jerks in general I think, though, because their uncle was cool.

I wouldn't mind going by myself. However, due to health reasons, this isn't really a great idea for me. I also have more fun hunting with someone. It's great to talk about what you saw, possible changes in tactics, and all the things that go with being in deer camp.

I think, as long as you are fit and feel safe on your own, there isn't really a problem of hunting alone as a woman.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site sunshiney. My sister hunts alone allot. If you're comfortable in the woods, and taking care of the game then the only thing you need to worry about is the two legged predators... I strongly suggest women to take a self defense class. I believe in what these classes teach and knowing a few simple defensive things can go a very long way. I'd also suggest concealed carry, depending on the laws in your state. If you're comfortable in the field, and become comfortable with your personal defense, there's no reason you cannot hunt alone.
Another thing you might try ( and this may see weird) but local personal adds for other female hunters in your area that may be looking for some hunting friends. It might be a long shot but may be worth giving a try. You may be able to find someone in a similar situation, or someone who hunts with their spouse and is willing to take you along. Hope this helps, don't lose your passion for the outdoors, just do what you need to in order to adjust and be able to enjoy them.
-Jake
Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
First, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

I am of the male gender, with that being said, I hunt and fish alone most all of the time. To me, it seems more productive to my goals most of the time balancing just my own schedule when the opportunity to hit the woods field or river arises.

If you have a passion for hunting and fishing then you need to keep nurturing that to some degree or another. It may take a while for you to find the balance that works best for you, but I am sure you will.
Good Luck to you.

I will say I bet there are a few more woman out there that may be in a similar situation as you that would love the chance for the outdoor experience and camaraderie..
+1

I believe this was extremely well put, and I as well encourage you to continue with your outdoor adventures !!!

Old 10-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Spike

[First, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Thanks for the reply. Nice thoughts and appreciate the warmness.

I do fish alone, often, as we have the Snake River and Clearwater 15 minutes from my home. <lucky me!> But it does help to have someone alone for netting if you hook a 20# Steelie.

I think you've convinced me. I am just sooo alone all the time -- no family here and too many deaths -- that the thought of hunting alone for the first time, well, I'm disappointed my cuz didn't make it, and "first time" makes me wonder what I am forgetting.

But, after reading what everyone has posted here, I'm getting ready to go out. Some guy slipped in one of our canyons -- steep granite over river -- a few years back and killed himself.

And the thought of stumbling onto a rare elk in the wheat fields...and trying to get it out even quartered... well... that's on my mind.

I was of the mind that I would find women to hunt with. I was so surprised to discover so many country woman that don't do much outside at all. I know women here who have never slept in a tent or fished and we are surrounded by that opportunity. I'll keep pushing on though -- it's that they're far fewer in number than men.

Wish me luck!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Spike

Thanks! I can't stand it -- so I'm getting ready to go. My first solo hunt!

I have concealed but I'm so far from population -- not a freeway for 100 miles -- and we have little incidence of crime here -- so not too worried about the 2-legged type. Thank you for that nice thought, though.

If I am lucky, I'll do a gutless field dress and take the meat only. But if I stumble on a huge one or an elk, well, that's going to take some thinking to get out!

Ok...here I go.....
Old 10-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Just make sure you have a contingency plan. Let SOMEONE that you can trust know your plans. It doesn't matter if it's just someone at your local fire hall or police station.

And Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Spend some time in "town" talking to folks.

Breakfast place, general store, bar; anywhere where "locals" gather - start a conversation !!!

Most country folks can be very hospitable and at the very least helpful..........................

I have a suspicion you'll do just fine.

I think I told you....................

You'll be just fine - Go have some fun !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-19-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Spike

Very sorry and feel for you.
Im male and prefer hunting alone mostly, if its new area then having someone along is always fun.

You know, if you dont feel up to it, thats ok. But you can always go as a tribute. Whether you harvest one or not, that time in nature, time with God, the creator or whatever you might believe, the spirit of those we've lost and cherrish; are always with us and perhaps a hunt would be one more way of paying tribute, showing your love, while also moving forward and still doing something you love? Its just a thought. But then again, as i mentioned, if you don't feel ready, don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.