Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree >

hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

Old 10-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

Have you guys ever had a deer look up at you in a stand and just walk away? Do they smell you are something? They look right up at me turn around and just walk away.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

I had a doe look up at me once, then stomped her foot a couple of times. She gave up and slowly walked away.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:50 PM

Last week I had a seven point look up at me over 5 times, at about 5 yds[]

Even with my unmatched designer camo - this younger buck never made me out.

Then he just walked on off
Old 10-16-2003, 04:44 PM

I had a nice doe about ten yards from me bow her head up and down about a dozen times. And then walk around the blueberry tree in front of me. You kno what happen next....
Old 10-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only when i wasnt wearing a face mask. If your face is covered up and they still bust you, your outline isnt broken up, they winded ya, or your moved at the wrong time.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:37 AM

The old takle of deer not looking up is long over. In most of their range, we are their primary predator and we hunt in the trees. They may not notice us because we are still, camoflaged, have a good backdrop, and the wind is right, but they do indeed look up. From my stand, most notce something unusual but kepp moving about their bsuiness. I got burned this year by a young buck who came from an unexpected direction and crosssed my scent. The wind was blowing from me to him. He got nervous, looked right at me and hopped away. I had him grazing peacefully at about ten yards for twenty minutes earlier in the season. I guess we are even now.

Greg
Old 10-17-2003, 06:54 AM

Alot of time the deer will look up at you if you dont have any background cover around you. They still dont have a clue what you are but they know you shouldnt be there, any cover around that stand you were in?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:14 AM

There are quite a few deer that look at up. Sometimes i don' t notice it since i wasn' t looking directly at them at the time.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get a few deer to look up and bust me. Most go back to what they were doing, after a bit of investigating. My neatest encounter like this I had a big doe come to the base of my tree, sniff around and looked straight up at me. She went on alert and knew something was amiss. After what seemed like for ever she calmed some, and walked out to about 6-8 yds where I was able to draw and shoot her. I never thought she was going to end up giving me a shot.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:54 AM

The buck I took Monday night looked right at me 6 or 7 times (probably because I was shaking so bad the whole stand was moving). So did the buck he was with but I guess the food was more important to them. Now they' re the food. I will say I had on a face mask, 3-D camo and a good back drop. I know I was shaking and that' s why they looked but I was never enough to alarm them.

Quick Reply: hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.