Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck lure scents?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Spike

Default buck lure scents?

I know its early in the year but has anyone in here used fox hollow hair raiser? or any other of their deer urines for that matter. They seem to have a high reputation for trapping lures and I am curious if anyone can testify to there deer lures/urines
Old 10-09-2015, 02:19 AM
Typical Buck

I use the bladder from the deer I get. Not sure if it's working or not. But better fresh than buying a bottle I guess. I've had tried scents from the stores and different brands. Hunting in Florida, I have not found scents to be that effective. But then again the rut is usually over when season starts. Or all the action is done overnight. So maybe that could be why?

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 10-09-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Spike

I find it hard to believe no scents would work for you.......I do like the thought of keeping whats in the bladder of your harvested animal but even then it is only "fresh" so long. Ive seen all kinds of studies that show using different kinds of scents lures and mock scraps but certain scents obviously work better at different times of the year early season pre rut rut post rut etc Fox hollow is pretty expensive but then again most urine is .......I was trying to figure if it was worth buying . the only place ive seen it sold is Minnesota trap line . Ive used there trapping lures just never deer. What dates does fl season generally run?
Old 10-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

October 19th- January something
Old 10-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do n ot use commersial lures or cover scents. I know of no one in my group of 15-20 season hunting buds who has ever attested to any of these making one iota of a diffeerence.

For 40+ years I have collected urine from deer that I kill. I pass it through a simple coffee filter. Freeze any excess. I use it to make a drag rag in hopes of partially covering my trail scent. I also use oiled-up tarsal glands off of bucks I have killed, rubbing these nearby where I set up in hopes of arousing the curiosity of a downwind buck. Not sure if either of these work all that well but think it has helped on a few occasions, especially the tarsal trick.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:56 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

On a few occasions, they seem to have attracted bucks in the area when I applied them to a scent bomb that was up high so the bucks could not verify that they were fake. One time Tinks may have worked to attract a buck in during the rut, but I was also calling and rattling. Or maybe not LOL.

They work well on your pocketbook. I still buy them and use them a bit during the rut. To me it is a real man's cologne, at least out in the woods. I don't put it on myself, but it seems that I end up smelling like the stuff anyway. Not the best choice for dinner or the theater, however, unless you are with a special kind of woman.

Last edited by MZS; 10-14-2015 at 04:01 PM.