Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Man dies after falling from tree stand >

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Old 09-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I'm hardly naïve, Maine. Human nature does lead people to do careless or egotistical things. On the flip side of that coin are stories similar to this one. The real question is: how many examples does it take to make people realize they aren't invincible?
I can only speak for myself and my experiences, I use to climb into stands that were nailed into trees ten years earlier. As long as the steps didn't twist too much and the wood seem strong it was great. Once I progressed to a hang on stand and strap steps I felt great, the nasty double loop safety BELT they supplied was worthless. But I felt secure in the stand, much more than the rotted wood stands.

Once I progressed to a climbing stand and it came with a five point harness, I now feel naked when in a stand without the harness (which has happened a few times due to forgetting a component).

I did feel the safety harness was needed and spoke to my father about it, he was resistant for quite a while, he had been a contractor and scaled buildings and heights for years and was fearless. He finially relented and wears one religiously.

It does take all of us varying experiences to take the step, I promote it with all new hunters (which I will be speaking with one Tuesday who works with my wife). I believe it is important to wear one but it wasn't instantaneous with the first time I heard about safety belts/harnesses.

My thought with the grieving family.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Spike

Coincidentally my uncle broke his back in 2 places this week from a treestand fall. No paralysis fortunately, and he was discharged today. He was building a stand in a tree, and not wearing a harness while doing so. Luckily he was with his cousin who was able to get help. Stay safe everyone- wear a harness!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
I didn't see it mention he used a climber, nor that he did not have a safety harness on. Either way, I feel climbers are much safer than hang-ons when combined with a good harness. I'm attached to the tree 100% of the time when I use my LW. Not 99%. 100%.

Just a 2' jump down from a set of climbing sticks in 2013 cost me 20 months of miserable plantar faciitis. Ended 40 straight years of running 20 miles/week for me. At 56 I am now struggling to get back in shape from inactivity. Be attached 100.00% of the time. Not worth the risk.
I can relate to that. I simply stumbled and landed on a pointed stump in my side and ribs a little over a year ago. Could not breath at first. This led to back problems I now have. I am your age and I ran too. And I got numbness in my foot. Working my way back. I would recommend you do planks daily as you get back in shape - you really need those stomach and back muscles to run.

As this all relates to stand safety - you don't have to be 50 ft up to get really screwed up!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gjersy
OK then! Please don't disrespect George's death with safety harnesses sales. RIP GEORGE. I hope his Fam does not read this thread
gjersey I did not mean to disrespect George or his family or belittle his death. It is very tragic! I am deeply saddened to read this post. I feel very bad for that man and his family ~ I really do!

However - His death was totally preventable and The Hunter Ed Instructor which I am ~ came out in me. It is a teaching moment for others and not a selling moment. A 5point harness is the safest harness one can wear, that in case of a fall in any said manufactured tree stand it will save your life. And improvements are being made all the time as with that safety rope with the Prusik knot.
That is all I meant nothing more. To prevent futher tragedy for someone else.

Sorry if I offended. But at times the hard truth offends everyone.

JW
Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I read that statistically one in 4 tree stand hunters will have a falling accident some time in their lives. A very good friend of mine who is a Vt hunter ed instructor fell from his climber just as he was getting ready to hitch up at the top. He said he knew the risks and had always attached on the way up but this one time took a shortcut. He ended up breaking his neck and was sidelined for months. If this whole thread makes one person safer than it was worth posting the safety info.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
gjersey I did not mean to disrespect George or his family or belittle his death. It is very tragic! I am deeply saddened to read this post. I feel very bad for that man and his family ~ I really do!

However - His death was totally preventable and The Hunter Ed Instructor which I am ~ came out in me. It is a teaching moment for others and not a selling moment. A 5point harness is the safest harness one can wear, that in case of a fall in any said manufactured tree stand it will save your life. And improvements are being made all the time as with that safety rope with the Prusik knot.
That is all I meant nothing more. To prevent futher tragedy for someone else.

Sorry if I offended. But at times the hard truth offends everyone.

JW
Sorry, i'm sure we are all saddened by any fellow hunters death. I had a friend get killed in a motorcycle crash and it upset me how the news and people always brought up the fact that he didn't wear a helmet, when talking of his death. I'm overly touchy now on these kind of things.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happens all too often, and man what a tragedy and what this guy's family must be dealing with. Got to be a tough deal.

Those of you who have read any of my possts about harness use know where I am headed ! Using a quality , 5-point style fall restraint system is a simple, relatively inexpensive method to mitigate the chances of suffering a severe injury falling form a tree stand. I use one every time I go up .... ladder, climber, lock-on .... dones not matter. I will be in my HSS fall restraint and attached.

Another point sort of lost on this thread is that it is imperative to inspect your stands before use and get them in safe cndition. I will be doing just that a couple of days next week. And say a little prayer for this family along the way.

Last edited by Mojotex; 09-26-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call me what you want, but I fail to understand it. You wear a condom for protection, wear a seat belt for protection, wear a hard hat for protection. Why not a safety harness for protection. All are to keep you from getting hurt or dying!!!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Call me what you want, but I fail to understand it. You wear a condom for protection, wear a seat belt for protection, wear a hard hat for protection. Why not a safety harness for protection. All are to keep you from getting hurt or dying!!!!!
Don't be silly protect your Willy!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Spike

I am on board where it is not the stands fault he didn't have a harness on . I am a big SOB. I use a summit climber, and I am not trying to push them here, I personally like it. Thank the lord and pass the hat I have never had a slip or fall . But I still wear my harness. Its not if your going to fall but when .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.