Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thoughts on over hunting

Old 09-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default Thoughts on over hunting

I don't want to push all the deer out of an area because I know of a couple big bucks in that area. What is you guys definition of over hunting an area? In a given week how many times would you hunt one stand? Thanks
Old 09-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll hunt an area doing an all day sit. Sometimes I will come back the following day and repeat. After that, assuming nothing worthwhile was noticed, I'll come back in 2 weeks and do a final full day sit. At that point: No bucks, no does, no fresh sign, no more wasted time.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use trail cams around my stands, and i found that hunting the same area a lot isn't a problem if your careful and not detected. The problem is once the smart ones know i'm there they go nocturnal. Saturday i was hunting a nice 10 point that has been showing up most days around dusk, well at quiting time he busted me while i was climbing out of my stand, he's still there most days, but now he's nocturnal.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot authoritatively provide a solid answer ... but I can give you my experiences. This one is typical ... scouting last season about Thanksgiving, I came across a spot in an area of thinned, 20 year old pines where 4 heavily used trails came into one. Long story short .... wind direction became advantageous I slipped in there 3 days in a row. Saw deer every day. And thord day got a clear shot at a heavy horned, heavy bodied 8 pt. Put him in the pot.

I think the key , as already stated is getting in and out more or less undetected. Which is a tough thing to do in most cases. I have been known to approach by walking in a shallow creek, coming in only from down wind, sitting all day, etc. to mimimize stinking up a place walking in and out.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

The key is not to let them know you're there. If you walk in, stinking, with bad wind, and making noise and all that, then one hunt can be enough to ruin a spot. If you're careful though and only hunt it when the wind is right etc, you should be good.
-Jake
Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you walk in, stinking, with bad wind, and making noise and all that,

What did the maxi pad say to the fart? You are the wind beneath my wings. Sorry just could not resist bud
Old 09-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The key is not to let them know you're there. If you walk in, stinking, with bad wind, and making noise and all that, then one hunt can be enough to ruin a spot. If you're careful though and only hunt it when the wind is right etc, you should be good.
-Jake
However you are right on in my opinion, it's just a very flatulence funny post.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I go to my stand long before daylight on a path I have cleared before the season. I am quiet and only use light when necessary. I have seen deer in the field at times silhouetted in the moon light. They were still in the field when I got to my stand. If you use your head, you will not spook deer out of the area your stand is in. Is it possible a deer will be in your path sometime, yep, but even when you are quiet they won;t be in your path when you get to where they were and probably not really alarmed.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I have hunted for years and when bow hunting my most successful hunts have often been out of my first sit in a tree stand. I won't hunt a stand if the wind is wrong and usually try to give it a few days rest after I use one. Early in my hunting life I tried hunting every day out of a single great stand and found each day I saw less and less deer. I am always careful going in and out but going out in the dark you are probably seen or heard and never know it. Multiple stands and paying strict attention to wind is a great way to hunt a property.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some hunters

have real trouble quitting the only place they hunt.
Besides, when did a trophy hunters ever say a property with good trophy deer ever have too few deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.