Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Meat vs. Antlers....

Old 10-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
........ If what your doing is working for you and your happy, then why are you worried about the way anyone else wants to hunt?
Go,... hunt,... be happy....
This general statement is true only when directed toward us all.
The aniti's are spewing their favorite brand of coffee at their local hotspot just reading it. Meat vs. Antlers should be nothing more than hunting style discussion that brings us together. Truth is, none of these deer are going to disappear. The large racked trophy deer will remain. The small buck killed by a meat hunter could easily mean the mature buck will breed for another season. Mature bucks still live and die having had minimal contact w/humans. Much breeding occurs at night anyway ensuring trophy future. Let's not forget every younger buck will become this eventual big racked trophy. Big racks are great provided we don't lose sight that the meat provided should be the ultimate goal. Anyone wasting meat solely for big racks violates the hunting ethics in it's purest form. Carry On!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your gonna quote someone d80, it helps to give credit to the person your quoting. At least it helps me.

...and what is a non-mountable antlered deer? Not sure I ever seen one.
That was NotoriousBRT.

You must not be reading the post well enough to understand the point I made. A non-mountable antlered deer, my choice words to the person I quoted, is an small anterled deer that a trophy hunter wouldn't shoot because he is holding out for a buck with a large enough set of antlers to mount on his wall.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
This general statement is true only when directed toward us all.
The aniti's are spewing their favorite brand of coffee at their local hotspot just reading it. Meat vs. Antlers should be nothing more than hunting style discussion that brings us together. Truth is, none of these deer are going to disappear. The large racked trophy deer will remain. The small buck killed by a meat hunter could easily mean the mature buck will breed for another season. Mature bucks still live and die having had minimal contact w/humans. Much breeding occurs at night anyway ensuring trophy future. Let's not forget every younger buck will become this eventual big racked trophy. Big racks are great provided we don't lose sight that the meat provided should be the ultimate goal. Anyone wasting meat solely for big racks violates the hunting ethics in it's purest form. Carry On!
That's just the thing Game Stalker. Every young buck will NOT eventually become a big racked trophy.
That is a biological reality that seems to escape an entire segment of the hunting community. Or they simply choose to ignore it.

And that very laps in recognition is not only what helps drives the after market deer hunting gadgets industry along with the grow'em big seed sellers that profit from the perpetuation of that myth. But it sows the seeds of animosity towards those fellow hunters that don't buy into that particular train of thought.

It's not just hunting, In my experience, tournament bass fisherman are some of the worst on voicing their dis-content with others that don't manage the resource as THEY see fit.
Heaven forbid anyone that decides to chunk a couple of smallies into a cooler to eat em.

These are called "sustainable resources" for a reason.

Last edited by tndrbstr; 10-13-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by d80hunter
That was NotoriousBRT.

You must not be reading the post well enough to understand the point I made. A non-mountable antlered deer, my choice words to the person I quoted, is an small anterled deer that a trophy hunter wouldn't shoot because he is holding out for a buck with a large enough set of antlers to mount on his wall.
I read the post alright. The question was more rhetorical than anything else.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's just the thing Game Stalker. Every young buck will NOT eventually become a big racked trophy.
That is a biological reality that seems to escape an entire segment of the hunting community. Or they simply choose to ignore it.
I see you have found and corrected a typo. Every young buck is not intended to grow old or be trophy material was the intent. Appreciate the fix.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by woodenb14
"When you have more hunting experience than I do, maybe I'll listen to you, but not until then"

"But I will tell you the same thing I told him, match my experience and maybe I'll hold your views as valuable but not until then. If you don't like that, well, too bad."

Yea, I don't think you seem to be the type of person that can hold a civilized dialogue online. Take your ball and go home, pal.
So you admit being daft huh?

Let me ask you:
Has "we" ever hunted blacktails in CA?
Has "we" ever hunted whitetails and mulies on the prairies?
Has "we" ever hunted whitetails in ME and NH?
Has "we" ever hunted whitetails on opening day in PA?
Has "we" ever hunted whitetails in the swamp of FL and AL?

Because I have and I take offense to another member saying:
"It's not that we hold meat hunting against anyone, it's just that we prefer you, A)didn't shoot every three pointer that walks by just because you can"

" If just a few do it now and then, it has little effect. If everyone does it, pretty soon the whole county resembles a landfill. I don't support regulation of any size restrictions because this is a free nation, but I won't sit here and pretend it's right for someone to shoot animals they claim to care nothing about (immature bucks) because it is convenient or because they don't care about their neighbors. That is the definition of selfishness."

"Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do it. Apparently I struck a nerve with the word selfish, though perhaps "thoughtless" would have been more descriptive. Most simply give no thought to what that 1 1/2 year old buck would have been, or all the offspring he would have produced in the ruts he will never see."

See, here's the thing, you can't take whatever the hunting is in TN and try and apply it elsewhere. In many areas of the country a person is limited to a single deer. In others the mineral level in the soil does not allow big racks. In some areas you can't even shoot a doe. So, every area is not only different but also covered by different regulations dictated by the individual states. So if the state says a deer is legal and can be taken then what is the issue of a person taking it? After all isn't that a personal choice?

If all you have hunted is one area, then that is all you know. That is why others with more experience will not simply accept what such a hunter says. The entire nation isn't TN or TX or CA or NY. Different areas do things differently and for someone wanting others to do things only the way they do them is foolish.

So, excuse me if I don't buy off on their line of B.S. As to this:"Take your ball and go home, pal" just who do you think you are? Do you have any authority to tell me or any other member to leave the forum? Are you the head MOD? Didn't think so!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

flags,
The intent of my post has little to do with this "controversery" concerning notrious' comments.
"When you have more hunting experience than I do, maybe I'll listen to you, but not until then"

"But I will tell you the same thing I told him, match my experience and maybe I'll hold your views as valuable but not until then. If you don't like that, well, too bad."

The statements that i qouted, that you made, were simply quoted to point out what i truly dislike about this forum. That, because you (or anyone else who makes similar statements) think you have so much more experience in the woods, you are the authority on any and all matters, and any "lesser hunter's" opinions will be taken with grain of salt. So, just becuase i'm 28 and have "only" been carrying a gun while hunting since i was 10, then i should just sit back, shut up, and soak in all the wonderful knowledge that you share so eloquently? Obviously i, nor anyone who hasn't hunted as many species or years as you, has nothing to add that you don't already know.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by woodenb14
flags,
The intent of my post has little to do with this "controversery" concerning notrious' comments.

The statements that i qouted, that you made, were simply quoted to point out what i truly dislike about this forum.

I really don't care what you like or dislike. Bottom line a member took cheap shots at all the hunters that don't hunt the way he does. Even went as far as comparing those hunters to people that trash the environment. That is uncalled for I will engage people that make such comments.
That, because you (or anyone else who makes similar statements) think you have so much more experience in the woods, you are the authority on any and all matters, and any "lesser hunter's" opinions will be taken with grain of salt.

Again, you take it out of context. My mention of experience is because I have hunted in many different states and places. Therefore I understand that what the hunting is like in one place, such as TN, doesn't mean that is the way it is in others. You do understand that whitetails exist in nearly every state and from Canada to South America don't you? Different regions have different hunting practices and different regulations and if someone spends all their time hunting one place they tend to think that is the only way it is done. People with more experience know differently.

So, just becuase i'm 28 and have "only" been carrying a gun while hunting since i was 10, then i should just sit back, shut up, and soak in all the wonderful knowledge that you share so eloquently?

No but you shouldn't involve yourself in a fight directed to someone else and not take comments directed towards others personally. You chose to involve yourself. For what it is worth, I'm headed towards 53 and shot my first deer at 9. That gives me 44 years in the field in many different regions.How many different areas have you hunted? My bet is your hunting is done in one place isn't it? Maybe you should understand that others have more experience and you should try and learn a little from them.

Obviously i, nor anyone who hasn't hunted as many species or years as you, has nothing to add that you don't already know.

Again, you take it out of context. That's the trouble with youth, and at 28 I consider you to be youth, is that they think they know what is gong on when in fact they don't have a clue. Here's some friendly advice: Don't get involved in what doesn't pertain to you.
As I have said many times, hunt however you want, shoot what you want, do as you want as long as it is legal. It isn't me that is trying to put limitations on you, it is others. Get your panties in a twist all you want, it will have no effect on me. I still intend on pulling the trigger on the first 2 legal deer I see because they will feed me and the wife for a year. Not everyone cares about antlers, but if you do, then have at it. I respect any hunter's right to take whatever deer they want, the problem is, others won't extend that same right to me. And that's the problem.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

And, if that were the case with all hunters, we wouldn't be having this discussion.