Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Outfitter help?

Old 09-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default Outfitter help?

I lookin for a outfitter for next year and was wanting to know where everyone else has gone and what kind of experiences you have had. Iv always just hunted around home and it can get disappointing in Tennessee sometimes. Iv never traveled to hunt and I been lookin around mainly in Illinois bc that's where iv always wanted to go but I'm open to anywhere else also. I looked into Hadley creek and buck chasers an they seem like they would be good places to go but a little pricey. But then again I don't wanna go somewhere and pay half when they dunno what they doin and could care less about the hunter just a dollar. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by JLankford4; 09-08-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Outdoor Partners (http://www.oplms.com) out of Augusta IL. It's a little different in that it is a diy hunt. You get a place to stay and access to two farms. You scout on your own and hang your own stands.

I hunted there twice and killed a 152" whitetail the first year. Worth checking out if you can hunt on your own.

Good luck, Rob

Last edited by Rob in VT; 09-08-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Spike

I will defiantly check em out. Nice deer rob!
Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Check out Outdoor Partners (http://www.oplms.com) out of Augusta IL. It's a little different in that it is a diy hunt. You get a place to stay and access to two farms. You scout on your own and hang your own stands.

I hunted there twice and killed a 152" whitetail the first year. Worth checking out if you can hunt on your own.

Good luck, Rob

Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

J, if you are wanting to come up here to hunt be prepared to use shotgun, muzzleloader, or revolver. Here's the little diddy from the DNR

Deer Hunting
Legal Firearms
Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not larger than 10 gauge nor smaller than 20 gauge, not capable of firing more than 3 consecutive slugs; or
Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length; or
Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.
Legal Ammunition
For shotguns and muzzleloading firearms, the minimum size of the projectile shall be .44 caliber. A wad or sleeve is not considered a projectile or a part of the projectile.
For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Note: There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges.
Non-expanding military style full metal jacket bullets cannot be used to harvest white-tailed deer; only soft point or expanding bullets (including copper / copper-alloy rounds designed for hunting) are legal ammunition.

Of course you could always BowHunt here as well. here's the little diddy for that

Legal Archery Equipment
A long, recurve, or compound bow with a minimum pull of 40 pounds at some point within a 28 inch draw.
Minimum arrow length is 20 inches and broadheads must be used.
Broadheads may have fixed or expandable cutting surfaces, but they must have a minimum 7/8 inch diameter when fully opened.
Broadheads with fixed cutting surfaces must be metal or flint-chert-or obsidian-knapped; broadheads with expandable cutting surfaces must be metal.

Most all of the outfitters up here in the Golden Triangle are pretty salty but they do have some fine deer if it's a big rack you are after.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were from Tennessee I'd look real hard at land leases in western KY
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with rockport. Kentucky has it going on and I don't even hunt there.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking for a Texas, 100% free range hunt, contact Jim Jacobs in Dumont. This area is not the "hot bed" so to speak that SW Texas is but he offers an honest chance at a 130 and above buck and at a very reasponable fee. I have no dog in this hunt. I hunted hunted with him a few times and have found him to truthfully represent what he has going on.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

How big a buck will make you happy? If you are looking for a top end buck, Western Canada or the midwest is the place to go, but keep in mind that a guided hunt in these places is usually for no more than 6 days. Some Canadian outfitters offer a 10 day hunt, but not many. Killing a top end buck on a 6 day hunt happens, but rarely.

If you would be happy killing a buck in the 140" to 160" range, Montana or NE Wyoming are probably the best places to look at and you really don't need to hire a guide, although going through an outfitter would increase your chances. No hunt is a guarantee, of course, but it would be very rare if you hunted Eastern Montana during the peak of the rut and did not have an opportunity at a 140" or better buck.... Idaho is also a sleeper that doesn't get a lot of attenion....
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Spike

Does he have a website or u have any contact info?
Originally Posted by Mojotex
If you are looking for a Texas, 100% free range hunt, contact Jim Jacobs in Dumont. This area is not the "hot bed" so to speak that SW Texas is but he offers an honest chance at a 130 and above buck and at a very reasponable fee. I have no dog in this hunt. I hunted hunted with him a few times and have found him to truthfully represent what he has going on.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Spike

A 160 inches would be just fine for me lol you know of a direction to point me in? If not I'll do some research on it. Thank you for your input.
Originally Posted by tatonka
How big a buck will make you happy? If you are looking for a top end buck, Western Canada or the midwest is the place to go, but keep in mind that a guided hunt in these places is usually for no more than 6 days. Some Canadian outfitters offer a 10 day hunt, but not many. Killing a top end buck on a 6 day hunt happens, but rarely.

If you would be happy killing a buck in the 140" to 160" range, Montana or NE Wyoming are probably the best places to look at and you really don't need to hire a guide, although going through an outfitter would increase your chances. No hunt is a guarantee, of course, but it would be very rare if you hunted Eastern Montana during the peak of the rut and did not have an opportunity at a 140" or better buck.... Idaho is also a sleeper that doesn't get a lot of attenion....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.