Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

100 Point Buck - how to tell

Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default 100 Point Buck - how to tell

So, I'm on a new hunt lease this year. Land owner is requiring all bucks to be 100 points or bigger to shoot (Florida deer)

My biggest question is, how do I tell quickly if the deer is about 100 point without measuring before I shoot it? :-)
Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Flipperscr83
So, I'm on a new hunt lease this year. Land owner is requiring all bucks to be 100 points or bigger to shoot (Florida deer)

My biggest question is, how do I tell quickly if the deer is about 100 point without measuring before I shoot it? :-)
If he is requiring a 100 point deer, you probably won't kill one. I hunted FL for quite awhile and I think I saw maybe 2 or 3 that might have made that score. Better to ask them flat out to describe what they want such as 6 or more points or a spread wider than the ears. Actual point score can be hard to estimate especially on the smaller southern deer.

What is the penalty if you shoot one that scores 98? You can't tell 2 points in the field.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess Florida intends for no bucks to be killed this season. A 100 point buck might just break a record or two ... you mean 100 inches, right? I'd say limit your self to a nice 8 pt. whose rack is well out side the ears and decently tall (or better), not at basket rack 8 pt. buck and you'd be OK.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Flags. Get some clarification from land owner. From what many folks in FL say the avg size of bucks are...it might be a little tough to bump into a true 100" buck. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but you know the deal.

An ears wide, 8pt, with 6-8" tines should do it, assuming avg mass. If the rule is 100" hard and fast, you definitely need to familiarize yourself with field judging. If you have some old racks, bone up on how to score them so you get an idea. Google is your friend and you can learn it... but truly, its MUCH tougher in the field. Especially if you don't have that many of that size to practice on in the field.