Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 This might be a stupid question.... >

This might be a stupid question....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This might be a stupid question....

Old 10-15-2003, 08:32 PM

Default This might be a stupid question....

I was wondering what do you mean by you " dress in the field." I know you put your hunting clothes on when you get to your spot, but what do wear on the way there? Do you put scent eliminator on the clothes you wear to the field or what? Thanks
Old 10-15-2003, 10:01 PM

Default RE: This might be a stupid question....

I dress at the truck, and walk to my stand in my hunting clothes. I spray down before I leave the cabin, then again while I change at the truck, and once more when I get in my stand.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Same here . I also use a cover scent on my pop-up blind , acorn spray outside , acorn discs on the windows inside . It can get a little chilly while you' re dressing , but it helps to preserve your scent reduced state by leaving most of the problem behind .
Old 10-16-2003, 10:47 AM

I keep all my clothes in a large container and change right when I park my truck. As long as you don' t wear your clothing in your vehicle or inside the house or anything you should stay as scent free as possible. After putting on a base layer to walk in, I strap insulated stuff (if it' s cold) to my stand and walk in. When I' m all set up, I' ll put on the heavy stuff. I also make sure to spray myself - boots especially - before I hit the woods to avoid as much scent on the ground as possible.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:38 PM

When I am very concerned about my scent, I wear an old sweat suit/jogging suit from home to Hunting spot. When I get out of the truck, I take out my hunting clothes and boots that are stored in a garbage bag in the truck. Also in the garbage bag are a few tree limbs that I add fresh to the bag every few days. I' m talking limbs from trees like; fir, spruce or pine. Very aromatic, makes me smell just like the trees I hunt around. This way, the only clothes I hunt in, that I also drove in the truck wearing would be my boxer shorts.

Yes, it does get wicked cold on some mornings, very invigorating!
Old 10-16-2003, 01:08 PM

No, no, no guys.....field dressing is when you gut the animal in the woods instead of taking it back to the garage to gut it!!!!!

Seriously though, I carry my clothes in a big Rubbermaid container in the back of my truck and change where I park to go in to the woods. It can get REAL cold, especially putting on cold clothing that your body hasn' t warmed up. Then I spray down with scent eliminator and head on my way.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am lucky enough to dress in our milking palor where it is warm. I figure the cow smell can act as a cover up. Any way I am going to be hunting a different woods this weekend so I wont be able to change in the barn. How should I go about changeing? I dont want to get naked by my truck with houses around or is that what I have to do.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:22 PM

please, dont get naked! youll scare the deer away!
Old 10-17-2003, 04:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Deerhunter 1224 ,
in areas where hunting is common the sight of a hunter dressing at his truck is normal and generally overlooked , although I do get the occasional wolf whistle ... Wear shorts !
Old 10-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve always worn my hunting clothes, except for my outer layer jacket, in the truck on the way there. I put a towel over the seat that was washed and stored with my scentfree clothes. It keeps the smell of my seat (that didn' t come out right) from getting on my clothes.

I' ve been very successful at NOT getting winded doing this. Saves time when I get to my parking area and when I get to my stand location. Less Noise, less time, less possibility of getting my scent all over the area by my stand.

Quick Reply: This might be a stupid question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.