Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Level of supervision for young hunters? >

Level of supervision for young hunters?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Level of supervision for young hunters?

Old 10-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Level of supervision for young hunters?

Watching a lot of hunting shows with kids got me to thinking about when I was a kid. Many states have laws for a minimum age, and a required parent/gaurdian accompanyment. At what age did you not hunt under direct supervision from an adult, and/or what age would you consider your child not needing your direct supervision?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Level of supervision for young hunters?

I think every kid or person is different. Hell i know some adults that shouldnt have guns they scare me more than kids. Usually 12-13 is when alot of kids sit by themselves on a dove field or a ridge or two over from dad in the deer woods. Hope this helps. Preach gun safety
Old 10-15-2003, 08:22 AM

I started when I was ten. I was allowed to hunt by myself when I was 14, state law. Now the age here in NJ is sixteen and that is fine with me. My son is ten now, is hunting for the first time after passing a hunter safety course. He passed a test for bow, shotgun, and muzzleloader. He is very safety conscious and I am proud of some of the deciosions he has made so far. He will hunt by my side for the first couple of years. The only exception might be next year, if I want to push a small patch of cover to him, I might stand him at the other side and move to him. I' ll have to see how he does this year first though. I have other options like letting my dad stand with him while I push a small piece. Safety is paramount anything that could jeopardize that is out of the question. He will gain his independence after he proves himself. He is thrilled right now to be with me and that is great. I get to see what it looks like to get all shakey and jumpy when a buck comes in. I' ve only felt it, never seen it until now.

Greg
Old 10-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

You need whatever it takes to insure their safety and all others in the deer woods. My two sons passed the Georgia hunter safety course at 9 and 10, so that tell' s you how difficult it is. I told them when they passed, you' ve passed the state course, now you have to pass Dad' s course. I let them begin hunting nearby at age 12 with strict guidelines (don' t leave the place I put you) and they have done very well. Both have shot multiple deer and one is even a successful bowhunter at age 17 now. Dad is proud that they learned safety first, but I' m more proud when fellow hunters compliment me on their hunting skills and safety, and that has happened on many occasions.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:41 AM

I began hunting on my own at age 12. Back then you could walk for hours and never see a fence or posted sign. There was also no hunter safety courses in our state then, but anything you learned came from an adult or on your own. I think the age which one should be allowed to hunt on their own varies depending on the child. For that matter, I have seen adults that shouldn' t be allowed to hunt or even handle a firearm. -- CDH
Old 10-15-2003, 10:00 AM

Started hunting with Dad at age 7. Started on my own when I was 12. I think it should be based on individual basis. State laws need to be there because many kids don' t have supervision and need to be of an age they can make decisions on thier own. Hunter safety is great but it is only a start.
Quote: " you' ve passed the state course, now you have to pass Dad' s course."

Love that comment!!! I know it was true for me and will be for my son and daughter.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:37 AM

I am 12 and my dad and his friends (my pastor and other people), let me hunt in my own little area last year. They really trust me with firearms and they know I will make the right decisions when I' m out in the field. For instance, a few weeks ago my dad, my pastor, and I went dove hunting in a huge field. They took one side and I went on the opposite side. Also, when I go deer hunting with my pastor, he lets me get about 50-60 yards ahead of him. I have asked my dad and he said that he will let me hunt completely by myself when I am 16 or 17, or maybe a little older, depending on how I demonstrate firearm and hunting safety.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was curious as to what you guys thought, cause at 12 I was allowed to hunt according to the state, but had to be under immediate control of a parent. Well for squirrels that was fine, but during deer season, my Dad felt confident enough about me that we hunted about 50-60 yds apart. My bro on the other hand, my Dad stayed glued to him every minute he was in the woods.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

When we were on private property in the mountains, I was on my own at 12. On public land, I would hunt within site of my dad until 16. My dad would concentrate on deer or turkeys and I would be off chasing squirrels. I won' t give my boy the same freedom. These are different times than they were 21 years ago.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-15-2003, 02:45 PM

my dad would give me a short leash to go plinking with my .22 when i was 10 around the camp site. started leaving me by myself when i was 12 to hunt deer.

Quick Reply: Level of supervision for young hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.