Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Preventing Hornet's Nests in Stand >

Preventing Hornet's Nests in Stand

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preventing Hornet's Nests in Stand

Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
May want to switch that to Kerosene unless you want to go without eyebrows and have a receding hairline before your time
why you don't light it
RR
Old 07-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
why you don't light it
RR
That gasoline will get them good and that's the way I always get rid of them. Just wait until late in the evening when they all go down into the nest and the only ones you might see the next morning will be ones that hadn't made it back in.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhhh, never heard that one before. Figured you were lighting them up not using the gas as a poison. Seen folks using Kerosene down the hole and lighting them up.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

In an enclosed stand use a total release fogger.
Then I apply a residual insecticide to the interior walls.
Some of the more effective insecticides used by professionals include Demand (lambda cyhalothrin), Suspend (deltamethrin), Talstar (bifenthrin) and Tempo (cyfluthrin). Effective over-the-counter versions of these products include Spectracide Triazicide, Bayer Advanced Powerforce Multi-Insect Killer, and Ortho Home Defense Max. Purchasing these products in concentrated (dilutable) form will allow larger volumes of material to be applied with a pump-up garden sprayer or hose-end sprayer.

I do this in the summer way before season and treat twice.

JW

Last edited by JW; 07-07-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I kill'em with "ScentLok"......................Works every time !!!

The ScentLok is to cove-up all the petroleum products though.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

As a bee keeper I get a lot of calls every year to remove the bees, People don't know the difference between bees hornets or wasp.
We charge a service call fee of $25.00 for a 25 mile radius and $10.00 per mile after that.
We do the twenty questions before we do any thing and if the person on the other end of the phone know a little we can tell if they are honey bees or other like wasp or hornet.
I talk people thru getting rid of them but some still want me to come and do it. We charge a flat rate of $300.00 to do so. I make about $1200.00 a year on average.
I only use Spectracide Pro Wasp and Hornet spray. works from 25 feet away and is a contact killer for up to 4 weeks if not washed down. We also remove the nest from the property.
Also doing the deed at dusk is best. Day break is ok but not as good

Al
Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

We've got honey bees in the wall of our cabin... Don't want them there, but hate to kill them off.
-Jake
Old 07-08-2015, 04:58 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
We've got honey bees in the wall of our cabin... Don't want them there, but hate to kill them off.
-Jake
Jake Find a local beekeeper as they will take them.

JW
Old 07-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

something you may try to prevent the nests to begin with, go to do your own pest control.com, order a quart of 36.8% permethrin, mix it 1.5 oz/gal of water and spray the inside of your stand weekly, it will kill anything with 6 or 8 legs and is extremely toxic to bees, so be careful around honeybees.
RR
Old 07-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
Jake Find a local beekeeper as they will take them.

JW

Talked to a local guy but it's in the wall at the peak of the 2nd story. He didn't want to climb up there. Gonna try a few other people I've been told about in the area though.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.