Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My buck survived the winter!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the kind of development we have in my area.

Smaller buck

A couple pictures of bigger bucks but not very good pictures

Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been trying to decided if this one has a little drop starting on the left or if that is just the main beam. I'm kind of new to cameras. Ive only had them out 2 week so I hope to have plenty more pictures.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bucks Rockport! Thanks for sharing.
Heres the same buck from 3 days earlier, you can see the difference in the back tines and beam length in only 3 days." />
" />
Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

He was a really big 4 point last year, it appears he is going to be the same this year. Plenty of growing time left though.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

These cameras do funny things. Look how much different his g3 looks on his right side in pictures that appear to be just seconds apart.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
These cameras do funny things. Look how much different his g3 looks on his right side in pictures that appear to be just seconds apart.
This is my first year messing with trail cams, I have had them for 5 years but never used them. They are cool! As much as I want to go put them elsewhere, I just cant make my self move them, I am really enjoying watching this buck grow. Also I have some really good pictures of elk and this cow and calf moose that keep coming back.
" />
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
This is my first year messing with trail cams, I have had them for 5 years but never used them. They are cool! As much as I want to go put them elsewhere, I just cant make my self move them, I am really enjoying watching this buck grow. Also I have some really good pictures of elk and this cow and calf moose that keep coming back.
" />
That is pretty cool.

Ive never really messed with them either. I don't know what to think really. I put the camera where I knew nice bucks would travel. I got confirmation on that but now I'm worried about spooking them checking the camera. I got some more detailed information but I really already knew what I needed to know.

Its fun though. I am enjoying it but I fear it may interfere with the ultimate goal.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
That is pretty cool.

Ive never really messed with them either. I don't know what to think really. I put the camera where I knew nice bucks would travel. I got confirmation on that but now I'm worried about spooking them checking the camera. I got some more detailed information but I really already knew what I needed to know.

Its fun though. I am enjoying it but I fear it may interfere with the ultimate goal.
Rock, just get scent free as possible, wear high rubber boots and avoid touching anything bare handed. Pretty much what you do when scouting. Also do your best to avoid any low hanging branches and high grass/brush when walking in and out. And try your best to take different pathways into where you are checking the cams but still avoiding intersecting trails. That's where most people get busted checking cams. Always try checking them at the hottest part of the day as well when they are pretty surely bedded.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Rock, just get scent free as possible, wear high rubber boots and avoid touching anything bare handed. Pretty much what you do when scouting. Also do your best to avoid any low hanging branches and high grass/brush when walking in and out. And try your best to take different pathways into where you are checking the cams but still avoiding intersecting trails. That's where most people get busted checking cams. Always try checking them at the hottest part of the day as well when they are pretty surely bedded.
Yeah I take the precautions. Did you see the time stamps? Its on a creek/steep hillside pinch. I think I'll walk the creek in next time and pull the camera out and leave him alone for now. Ive seen what I need to see and really already knew. I'll be sitting there Oct first if that ends up being the buck I decide to pursue. He is in range of my stand in every picture.

Probably better to have in places I'm unsure of rather than places I know are travel pinches for big bucks. Maybe not as fun but probably more productive.

Last edited by rockport; 07-13-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it's fun to watch them grow up. I don't use cam's anymore since I moved here to Illinois. I tend to get out there with them and watch from a distance with some nocks. Hard to do that in mountain and heavily wooded spots which is where I always used cams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.