Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
For Hunters in the Hot Humid South >

For Hunters in the Hot Humid South

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

For Hunters in the Hot Humid South

Old 06-15-2015, 05:37 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default For Hunters in the Hot Humid South

Just saw this product at http://media.coolvest.com/Default.as...35152&Items=40 It is a cooling vest. It stays at 59 degrees for a few hours and could probably keep you cool while lugging your climber out and setting it up. I am in no way affiliated with this product.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds good at first blush, but wearing a vest that weighs around 5 lbs that only stays cool for 2 1/2 hours, then becomes another layer of clothing to make you hotter, sound more like just more weight to carry in and carry out with all the other stuff you really need to have with you. Just my considered opinion.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd rather just wear lightweight clothing that breathes. I'm not much for all the new gadgets. Kind of wonder how I managed to kill all those deer over the last 30+ years without them. Guess deer were just "dumber" back then. Or maybe, hunters were just better.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

I got to have a cold blast across my kisser when I hunt.I don,t think I could get into deer huntin in warm temps.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Cool Suit" not for me. Not worth the effort.

I have hunted in the south for 50+ eyars. It can be a tough gig for sure. Temps in the early archery (mid Oct.) can top 95F with humidity out the roof. One of my favorite areas is along a sereies of drainage creeks in the midst of a 2000 acre palmetto swamp. Man it can get brutal in there. Not only the heat but the bugs! Movement is generally weak and right at day break or dusk. I ahved killed some nice deer and feral hogs in that swamp on hot days, but I don't go in there as often as I used to. At 66, I am getting too old (maybe wising up too) for that mess. Light weight cotton or some of the "high tech" light weight wicking materials are about the only way to go. But in these kind of conditions, I am going to sweat a pile.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, probably would work

For anyone who only hunts 2 1/2 hours a week in the humid south and then takes the rest of the week off.

Off now on a hike in the humid south. It's hotter than hunting season.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't seem worth it, as others said even here when the season starts it will be in the 90's for most of the first half of the season. Have had days I gone in at a chilly 40 and by the after noon was 85. Just do the best you can, but only take what you need.

Also this vest wont prevent the rest of me from getting hot and sweating.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Doesn't seem worth it, as others said even here when the season starts it will be in the 90's for most of the first half of the season. Have had days I gone in at a chilly 40 and by the after noon was 85. Just do the best you can, but only take what you need.

Also this vest wont prevent the rest of me from getting hot and sweating.
I think it would work to keep you cooler. Too cool maybe, but is it worth it? Evening hunt it temps like Mojotex endures? I could see a suburban hunter who hunts close to the truck after a day of work. Might be a good investment for him or her.

Mojotex, like GOOD OLE BOY, I'd have to devise an air conditioned blind.

ATB

Last edited by Mickey Finn; 06-22-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was speaking for myself on that last one, from experience I can stand in a swimming pool 70 degree, chest high and start exercising. After a bit, my forehead and hair will be wet from sweat, not water. I assume I will have the same issue with this vest but my legs, arms, head will sweat. The cool feeling someone my feel with the vest, may cause them to mistakenly think they can do more then normal. It is not worth the attempt for me, maybe on one of my bike rides, it might be nice.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
I was speaking for myself on that last one, from experience I can stand in a swimming pool 70 degree, chest high and start exercising. After a bit, my forehead and hair will be wet from sweat, not water. I assume I will have the same issue with this vest but my legs, arms, head will sweat. The cool feeling someone my feel with the vest, may cause them to mistakenly think they can do more then normal. It is not worth the attempt for me, maybe on one of my bike rides, it might be nice.
I was thinking that the vest would keep your trunk cool, and that would cool the rest of you. I guess it doesn't work that way though.

Good for you keeping after the exercise!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.