Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck pic

Old 10-14-2003, 03:16 PM

Default buck pic

picture of a buck taken with my stealth cam. what do think about this deer; size, age, score...?

Old 10-14-2003, 03:19 PM

Default RE: buck pic

The body looks good but I can' t make out the rack. Do you have another pic. of him? -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 03:22 PM

here is another picture in the same location, but i don' t think it is the same deer. what do you think?

Old 10-14-2003, 03:28 PM

It' s hard to say from a photo but here is my best guess. I would say it is a year and a half old buck by looking at the mass of the rack and the features of the deer itself. If you are on private land that you can manage, I would save it for another 2 or 3 years. If you are on public land or a club where any size or age deer is taken, I would certainly go for it. Good Luck and nice pic!! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I definitely think they are 2 different bucks, but there ain' t no way that second one is only a year and a half old, just look at his belly line. The deer doesn' t look to be over 2 and a half, but he has a belly line of a 4 and half or older.????? That first one looks like a real good mature buck, but we just can' t tell much about the rack from the picture.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Second picture in my own opinion is an older deer, u can see by what they say are all the features of an old whitetail. Graying body , sagging belly, loose skin around the face... But he could jsut be a porker.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:07 PM

I did look at the belly line MC and I know what you are saying but I am going to have to stick to a year and a half to two years. I have several young bucks on my property the same way that are 1 1/2 to 2 years old. I was trying to get an idea from the whole body and although the belly does show older, there are features that say younger so I tried to round it off and take the best educated guess I could to help a fellow hunter. Just like you, I was guessing the best I could from the photo. I guess we will never know without looking at the teeth. Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure looks like the first buck is a much older/bigger deer. Bigger neck and looks like the antlers are much bigger/wider. Might be a keeper.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:37 PM

I' m on board with txhunter... That first buck looks like he' s as solid as a rock and he' s sporting a wider rack than " Porkroll" is. Buck #1 is gonna be ready to take a few ladies out on the town, no doubt about it!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Spike

I agree...pic #1 is a different deer, and he' s a stud. You can' t tell too much about his rack, but you can see that he' s pretty wide. I' d say that this buck is a " shooter" candidate.

Quick Reply: buck pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.