Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
need advice on purchasing an ATV >

need advice on purchasing an ATV

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need advice on purchasing an ATV

Old 02-01-2002, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default need advice on purchasing an ATV

I herniated a disc in my back this year dragging out a deer and so am looking at getting an ATV (even my wife agrees). I'd like a no-frills reliable machine in the 300cc class that can handle hilly terrain and cold weather. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the suzuki king quad 300 but there are lots of others to choose from.
thanks
Old 02-01-2002, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need advice on purchasing an ATV

That is a good one. Or try the Yamaha Big Bear. It is real nice too, and a little cheaper that the Suzuki's.

Edited by - WV Hunter on 02/01/2002 11:04:42
Old 02-01-2002, 10:54 AM

I have a Honda 300 fourtrax. It is 4x4 all the time. It's not the fastest quad on the market, but will go almost anywhere. It is 2 years old bought new. It does help with dragging deer. I would not get a 2 wheel drive, because in order to go where a 4x4 quad can go you must keep the 2 wheel drive quad rapped out. In 4x4 you don't need to go fast because it has more low end power. JMO

Dan Blair
Old 02-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The honda rancher 4x4 is a great machine.It handles well for a 4x4 and is very reliable and easy on fuel.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try them all and feel the difference in the machines . They are all just a little different to each other . That way you will get one that feels good to you . What I think or anyone else is only our opinion and might not be what you need or like either . Try them all .
Old 02-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think halcon hit the nail on the head. Try several and see which you like the best. A friend has a Kawasaski 250. I don't remember what model it is.I think it's the Bayou. It's only 2x4 but has given him real good service.I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 that's been reliable. It's probably more power then you'll need.Hope you find one that fits your needs. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-01-2002, 03:54 PM

I have owned a Honda Fourtrax, Suzuki Quad, and prsently have a Yamaha Big Bear. The Big Bear I feel is the machine for me. (I am 68 yrs. old, no longer a kid.) Full time 4 wheel, and a little longer wheelbase for a smoother ride. And the back shock is adjustable. The 350 is a stout motor. Compare price and features.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:57 PM

I just noticed your location. One thing that I have never experienced; This Big Bear has never failed to start due to cold weather. (Except when I left the battery run dry. LOL)
Old 02-01-2002, 04:29 PM

Honda is the best quad maker out there, I have a fourman 400 with 3481 miles All I have done is chaged the oil. It runs so smooth. I have drug numerous animals. Honda is the best 4x4 out there hands down. Oh, They cant put 3481 miles on a quad for an article in the magazine. You wont be happy with anything but a honda
Old 02-01-2002, 04:34 PM

I love my arctic cat 400 4x4. Bottom line is you have to have four wheel drive. Make and model can vary but go for the four wheel drive

Quick Reply: need advice on purchasing an ATV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.