Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on new property

Old 06-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah Top, that display you put up is actually a rare occasion. I've not seen many tracks in my day where the toes are closed up like that. They usually have at least somewhat of a "splay". Unless they are "standing" tracks.
Actually smaller deer will pretty well be almost a closed V at the front, but as you know when they start gaining weight or are moving at more than a walk then they start splaying in order to support their weight better. PS: That display picture was taken right off this website!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Spike

Yeah, I see tracks of definite bucks, where it basically looks like two little trenches in the mud, running parallel to each other.

I never knew that young bucks would still make the V tracks. I thought only doe did that.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol Only time I pay close attention to the little ones Top is when I am feeling the need to crank up the rotisseri (or however you spell the damn thing) and want to put on a nice 80-90 pounder yearling. Mighty fine grub there! Sew in some fresh Garlic cloves, onion pieces , fresh Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, and a pat of real butter in each pocket, set the coals up indirect and low and turn on the Rotor. for about 4-6 hours and man you talk about some mighty fine vittels! Damn I just made myself hungry and I can't eat any more tonight. Blood tests in the morning!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Always remember the "Rules of Three".............

"We" all LIVE my the same Rules !!!

http://www.ruleof3survival.com/

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-04-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a mature buck track

Old 06-05-2015, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport

I'd be happy to see a few of those on the way to the stand.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport

The one on the left or the one on the right, LOL?!!! That certainly is a good one and you can see how the front points splay out to describe what Oldtimr was saying.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTW - The ""marks" left from the dew claws says it's a big one too !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-05-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Spike

Ok this is awesome news for me.

Out of my 3 fields, there is one that is tucked the furthest back to the woods, and has an old grown up 4-wheeler path going up the hill.

I always look for deer signs back in here and NEVER see them. Before I cut it, there was a deer trail through there but that was it.

Today, I walk back in there, and in the dirt, for the first time ever in my life, I saw what you just posted a picture of. It wasn't AS distinct, because it was in hard dirt as opposed to mud. The dew claws were evident, especially the left one.

First and only true deer sign I have seen back in there. Have to say I am pretty pumped about it. I usually don't take the mower up the 4-wheeler path at all, but last time I said ah what the heck. So I pushed it up the hill about 5-6 foot, thats it. This track was right on the edge of the overgrown 4-wheeler path and where I cut the grass. He was headed up the hill. I paid attention on the way back out, and saw a trail coming off the hill. It's old and I noticed it before, but it didn't look like anything was still using it. Who knows maybe its his trail.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jasper912
Ok this is awesome news for me.

Out of my 3 fields, there is one that is tucked the furthest back to the woods, and has an old grown up 4-wheeler path going up the hill.

I always look for deer signs back in here and NEVER see them. Before I cut it, there was a deer trail through there but that was it.

Today, I walk back in there, and in the dirt, for the first time ever in my life, I saw what you just posted a picture of. It wasn't AS distinct, because it was in hard dirt as opposed to mud. The dew claws were evident, especially the left one.

First and only true deer sign I have seen back in there. Have to say I am pretty pumped about it. I usually don't take the mower up the 4-wheeler path at all, but last time I said ah what the heck. So I pushed it up the hill about 5-6 foot, thats it. This track was right on the edge of the overgrown 4-wheeler path and where I cut the grass. He was headed up the hill. I paid attention on the way back out, and saw a trail coming off the hill. It's old and I noticed it before, but it didn't look like anything was still using it. Who knows maybe its his trail.
That is VERY good.....A faint trail tucked the furthest back in the woods with tracks like that in it. That is very good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.