Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Current state of northwoods stillhunting outerwear? >

Current state of northwoods stillhunting outerwear?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Current state of northwoods stillhunting outerwear?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Spike

Default Current state of northwoods stillhunting outerwear?

Hi all, new to the site. I came to it via looking around at wool clothing, the Benoits, and options in stillhunting wear these days. I landed on the thread discussing Maine and Lanny Benoit's comments from last year.

So, could I get an idea what people are using for stillhunting northwoods?

I've learned a good deal by watching the Benoits' example, as well as Hal Blood's. I know the Benoits have moved over to camo but Hal still goes with the tried and true green/black buffalo jac shirt and Filson solid drab green.

How many are using traditional wool? A new blend, like the Cabela's line, waterproof and camo? Some kind of thinsulate - my father in law recently gave me his old Cabela's parka and bib, solid blaze. About 8 years old, thinsulate.

Anyway, many thanks, just trying to see what some eastern hunters are using these days.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I still use my Woolrich red and black check jacket, out grew the pants or they shrunk a whole lot .

Al
Old 05-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends if you're young or old

An old hunter like me knows how he survived in cold weather. A younger hunter might only know the ads on the internet. Or the best and the greatest and something that costs more money.
An older hunter might have already seen hunting in below zero weather. I have a couple of 40 plus year old wool sweaters, that still fit. I wore them forty years ago; I can wear them now under a parka.
I'm scouting out some military gear. Military knows something about survival in cold weather.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Colder weather? Filson with ECWCS underwear. I have a pair of Woolrich pants that I also like. Talk about built to last they are impressive with double knees, and seat just like BDUs. Valentine what did you say about the military.

Also, I always have a scarf with me.

I find the real puzzle is how to dress for warmer weather. I'd like to hear what other hunters are wearing for this.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I love wool, and my son has his great-grandpa's Woolrich Red, which I couldn't be more happy about. My only issue is weight, especially if and when we're hunting in wet conditions.

Valentine, I couldn't agree more. I was once taken in myself, mostly when bowhunting. Now, if it's good enough for Hal Blood, a guy I really admire:

It's good enough for me.

Here's my current - forgive the mug, but you get the idea. Some work on the solid blaze, but this is the bib and parka I have currently:

I'd like to stay light, layered, and wool. Just need to find a good wool solution, and this orange pumpkin suit is a tool in the bin, as an option for certain conditions. That light shirt, filson pants that Blood is using, along with plain, uninsulated or insulated rubber boots, is what I'd like to find.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:03 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wismarlin
Here's my current - forgive the mug, but you get the idea. Some work on the solid blaze, but this is the bib and parka I have currently:

I'd like to stay light, layered, and wool. Just need to find a good wool solution, and this orange pumpkin suit is a tool in the bin, as an option for certain conditions. That light shirt, filson pants that Blood is using, along with plain, uninsulated or insulated rubber boots, is what I'd like to find.
I like how light your boots are, but I am guessing they might need a bit more insulation for the winter months
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 AM
Spike

Hahahah....yeah, well, I think I have plenty of natural insulation to loan to these flippers er, I mean, natural boots.