Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting in the rain

Old 10-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default hunting in the rain

As soon as legal shooting hours started the rain started comong down. I fought it out for a hour I was starting to get very wet. The forecast calls for rain all day. The rain was comeing down fairly good. Do you guys hunt when it is raining?
Old 10-14-2003, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting in the rain

I wait all year for bow season and for the 2 1/2 months its in I hunt every chance I get. Rain, snow, wind....... I figure if the deer live in it, I can hunt in it.

Besides I figure my chances are much better in a treestand during a rainstorn than on a couch LOL...........

Have a great day!
Old 10-14-2003, 06:54 AM

I have seen some of my best deer around rain. I don' t like a hard rain but a light drizzle can be good. Watch for a falling barometric pressure, that' s when you want to be there. Good luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 07:00 AM

I don' t mind hunting in the rain. But I' ve learned (or have I?) that high wind blowing /driving rain is a low odd' s proposition.

Opening day of bow season tommorrow. 90% chance of rain with a High Wind Advisory in effect. Damn!

Look like I' ll be moving that vacation day. I' m totally bummed out.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:38 AM

I remember a few years back bringing my bow to the local pro shop because one of my cmas was squeking when I pulled back. The pro asked, " do you hunt in the rain?" I was kind of taken back, but told him, " I hunt whenever I can...rain or shine!!"

Yup. I will hunt in the rain, cold, wind, etc. If it' s a downright downpour with strong winds, I will play it by ear and maybe sit in my truck for a while hoping for thinsg to let up a bit. But, if it' s just a steady rain to a drizzle, I' m out there. I like it because almost all other hunters decide to stay at home. One thing I always bring with me is my tree umbrella. It' s a beauty and keeps me maybe 95% dry on most occasions!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:48 AM

I do tend to do less moving around in the rain like the deer do. It also depends on I' m flint muzzleloading than I prefer the dryer weather or snow. I also have one of those tent outhouse blind that does keep me dry in the rain. I put a tarp over the tree stand which I hope will keep me dry while I' m there.

Nothing stops me from hunting, except a sick wife. Somebody has to take care of the kids.

Tom

Old 10-14-2003, 12:03 PM

Just one thing, I wish it would rain around here. I' d be out in a minute. Might even call in sick.

Greg
Old 10-14-2003, 12:29 PM

Ahhhh screw it. I' m taking the day off!!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:31 PM

Gryan,

You can have some of our rain. I' d be glad to share some...

We had over 12 inches in September and over 5 already in October. This summer we' ve had so much rain we, many people were flooded out north of us. The dam by me that I watch, never went more than 3 - 6 inches over the spillway. It can handle up to 4 or more feet of water, I hope... before breaking.

Tom
Old 10-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Most of my best deer hunting has been in the rain. It gets the blacktails up and moving around alot more. It' s supposed to do nothing but rain here through the weekend. I hope it gives me a break on Friday though, so I can at least not get soaked while I' m setting up camp![>:]

Quick Reply: hunting in the rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.