Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pre Rut Is IN!!

Old 10-13-2003, 11:20 PM

Default Pre Rut Is IN!!

((((( # 8 for the season so far ))))) While I was hunting this morning and doing some light rattling, I had a doe burst into one of my food plots with a nice 8 point buck in chase. She was zig zaging through the food plot and it looked like the buck' s nose was super glued to her butt! She wasn' t ready to breed but he sure was! This wasn' t the particular buck I was wanting but after watching this deer for four years I decided to go ahead and take him since he had massed out pretty well this year. The buck and doe were moving all over the food plot so fast I couldn' t get a good shot on him until I made a loud noise and got him to stop chasing her for a second. He had an 18 1/4 inch inside spread and a rough score of 142. His neck was fully swollen also. He only HAD one thing on his mind and that was getting that doe. I also have a friend that took a nice buck this morning and the buck he took was also chasing a doe. Anyway, for all of you down south, the pre-rut is in full swing and about a week and a half early so get ready and hold on tight for this fast and furious time! Good luck everyone! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 12:01 AM

Default RE: Pre Rut Is IN!!

Congratulations on the buck! Hopefully we' ll see some pre rut action in my woods soon. I think some cooler temps would be the ticket. Been a bit warm since bow season opened here.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:52 AM

Deerslayer, we have had cooler temps. so far this year although yesterday got back up to 85 degrees. I wasn' t sure how they were going to move yesterday with the tempature climbing back up but they moved decent in the morning. Yesterday afternoon, I saw no bucks (not even smaller ones) and just a few does. Everything around here seems to be a little early this year according to my book I write everything down in. Good luck in Ar. this year!! -- CDH
Old 10-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

We won' t see a pre rut until after New Years in our part of south Bama.