Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are your plans

Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

ill trout fish until it get too warm, then switch to bass fishing. during the summer ill take after the groundhogs.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot as many coyotes as I can during dawn & dusk........... ground squirrels for target practice mid day !
Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much ....

The group I hunt with decided to cut back all the overhang and side grow-in along the edge of our fire breaks to make it easier and safer when we bush hog these this come September. There are approximately 47 miles of these roads. Each of us drew a 3 miles +/- section of these roads out of a hat to clear. My draw was not so good !! So far it has taken me 8 days to do about 2 miles of mine. Lot of overhead cutting with a power saw lopper. I am 66 and beleive me this is kicking my a$$.

Plus we are stepping up our summer food plot program. We have about 8 acres of perrenial clover going great guns already. Deer are hitting these plots hard. We are in the process of preparing about 15 more acres for annual crops .... Sunn Hemp and quail haven soybeans will be planted in about 12 acres. We are experimenting with two crops new to us .... Red Hemp will be tried in a 1 acre plot ... Teosinte in 3 plots totalling about 4 acres. What is killing us right now is all of the rainfall. It has been a wet spring and about 10 inches has hit the ground these past 10 days. Need some dry out before we can plant.

And just in case that is not enough .... an F1 tornado touched down breifly last week and wiped out 100's of prime oaks. There are several 30-40 inch diameter trees blocking some of our major roads and fire breaks. We are hopeful that the forester will salvage these out. If not we will be trying to clear these out of the way as well.

And the floor in our main camp house (a big old farm house) is collapsing (rotten). About 90% has been redone, but the other 10% has not. So that is on the agenda too. And in our club's house trailer where 4 guys stay, we have planned a total rework of most of the floor and part of the ceiling due to water leakage damage that has gone un discovered for well over a year.

And just maybe .... I can find some time to scout !

Oh ... and wife and I are building our "last house".
Old 04-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mojo, you is just plain old lazy. Sittin around doin nuthin!

Hehe sounds like you need to make about 3 more of yourself just to get caught up son!

And one small question, Isn't red hemp illegal to grow? I know I know it's a stupid law but if my poor old memory serves me correctly it's an illegal plant. In the same category as pot. May want to do a little research on that before you plant something that can land you in the pokey!
Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set up a bow and start practicing my shooting.

Scout for deer.

Fly fish.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

"super hunt 54" .... Red Hemp is DEA OK. Contains about 16 to 20 times less potencey of THC than Colorado's favorite variety. Seeds are extremely tiny. Looks like bl;ond beach sand. Supposed to be high in protein. Crop is supposed to be hardy, fast growing and drought tolerant. We'll see how well it does on a rather sandy SE Alabama field. And if the deer and turkey take a likin' to it.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mojo, I did a small bit of research and I found where Obama pulled it off the DEA list. You may find this article informative in where you get your seed as well as what type may grow well in your neck of the woods. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...626-story.html

I do know from experience (from WAY in the past) that deer LOVE seedling pot plants. Not so much after they have about a month or two growth. Since Hemp and Cannabis are related they may like it as well.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

My plans are for my back to heal up - Want to be able to drag those deer out next fall!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

MZS, get you one of those roll up plastic deer drags. You unroll it, put your deer on it, tie up the ties, drag the deer. It makes dragging 140# field dressed deer feel like little to nothing. Helps keep the carcass cleaner as well. They weigh next to nothing, when rolled up take up very little room in your pack, and trust me, they really help. Take it from an old fart thats dragged hundreds of deer out of the woods. Your back will thank you for spending the 20 or so bucks.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Spike

Turkey hunt, fish, scout new areas, set up trail cams and check them periodically. Target practice, shoot the bow, five stand and sporting clays...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.