Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter Needs help

Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Spike

Default New Hunter Needs help

Hey everyone, I'm a 19 year old college student who is finally getting into hunting, I've gone before with some friends but we never got anything, I've already done my hunters ed and am just looking for some basics, any tips that yall think would help, really anything, I am a bowhunter, any and all tips are really appreciated,

thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would help us a little knowing what type of equipment you already have. IE type of bow, tree stands, blinds, and that sort of thing. Are you going to get your doe tags for Lehigh county and buy extra doe tags for surrounding bucks and chester counties? I would highly recommend it. Lots of good hunting in those counties and the Amish community are very polite and welcoming to those that ask politely and treat their property with respect. Give us a little more detail about what you have and what you know and we may be able to further help you out in this wonderful past time of ours.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome newbie hunter and please know that killing something is not why we go hunting, although it's icing on the cake if we do once in a while! Good luck as you get into this great pastime that is my obsession!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Spike

I'm using a Bear archery, cruzr compound bow, with a scott archery release, I've got a 65 Pound Draw, and 29 inches of draw length, used my tax return to treat myself lol, I don't have any tree stands at the moment, however I plan to get one this summer, My family also owns some land that I've been thinking about putting up a permanent stand, not sure if I'm going to yet. As for the tags, Might sound kind of stupid but where do I buy extra tags for different counties? Also how do I go about finding amish communities that are optimal and asking them for their permission? I really appreciate all of your help. Also I definitely know that killing isn't everything lol, I really enjoyed my time in the woods, it was honestly some of the most peaceful time I've ever had, it was awesome, I napped, and I really enjoyed the time outside. Again thanks for all of your help and thanks for the warm welcome!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your family owns some decent land I would scout it well over the next few months and try to put up one or two ladder stands in a couple spots that have good trails and sign.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
If your family owns some decent land I would scout it well over the next few months and try to put up one or two ladder stands in a couple spots that have good trails and sign.
Spot on there. Permanent stands are okay sometimes but one key element in hunting is mobility. Being able to change location for reasons like wind direction. Hard to do that with a permanent stand. You always need a "backup" location, especially in your location where the winds change all the time.

As far as the extra doe tags for the special regulations areas, I know you used to be able to get them over the counter at Walmart and a few other places after a certain date in the Sp. Regs counties. You can also send off for them as well as get them online here http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ommunity/14314

As far as the question of gaining permission on Amish owned land, I remember several communities in Bucks county as well as Chester and Montgomery counties out in the rural areas. I simply drove around looking at possibilities and drove or walked up and asked. You would be totally surprised at how well that will work if asked politely. Always offer to share in the harvest if you do have a successful hunt.

What type of broad heads are you planning to use? I personally would recommend a cut on impact fixed blade such as the G5 Montec or the Slick Trick. Both are fantastic heads and fly dead on with your field tips without having to fletch tune your rig.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah that's what I would do scout may through august and wonder why your not seeing any deer come October.
pattern the deer in September, then maybe you'll connect before the big post rut blowup in October, FCS why would anyone give such advise.
RR
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Find some good spots by scouting. Set up 25 yds from some good trails. Then remember the deer's senses:
Smell (hunt downwind from promising trails, never up wind)
Sight (stay concealed or in back of some cover or up out of view and very still)
Sound (stay quiet)
There is a LOT of free info on this forum. Just pick a topic and search. If you can not find info, feel free to post a new topic. Most importantly, get out and hunt - this will get you on the fast track to learning. Have a bunch of spots - if you get busted in one, move on to another for a few weeks.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

All excellent advise.

I think the short of it is, "that you can't shoot'em from your couch !!!"

Enjoy it ......................
Old 04-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yeah that's what I would do scout may through august and wonder why your not seeing any deer come October.
pattern the deer in September, then maybe you'll connect before the big post rut blowup in October, FCS why would anyone give such advise.
RR
RR have you been nipping at the bottle? I don't see where anyone suggested he scout May through August or anything of that sort! But then again, for years I have done that very thing. Keeping "tabs" on several deer herds on the properties I hunt is just one of the many things I do during off season. If you know what you are doing you don't drive deer off. In fact you may accomplish the very opposite by getting them used to a vague human scent. And unlike you I don't take supposed 700 yard shots on whitetail, I get up close and personal for Archery so I obviously haven't scattered them off!

Last edited by super_hunt54; 04-20-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.