Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Basics

Old 04-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I watched the vid. I saw absolutely nothing that I'd call hunting basics. Nothing about tracking, stalking, bullet placement, blood trailing, field dressing, meat packing, trophy care, map reading, compass skills, fire making, wilderness shelters etc...

The only thing you showed that I'd even bother packing is a flashlight and the one you showed is little more than garbage. You want a good flashlight for hunting get a Surefire with the red lens attachment. Are you really trying to say a box cutter is a good type of knife for hunting? You then show broadheads and a trailcam that are still in the package which means you haven't used them. How do you know what will work if it is still in the package. I'd rather see a bunch of well used and well cared for equipment that has been field tested than something still in the package. Why do I need an SD card? I don't think it is possible to kill a deer with one, I can't eat it, I can't start a fire with it, I can't signal for help with it so why would I consider it a basic for hunting?

For what it is worth, I shot my first deer at age 9 in 1972. I've taken over 100 deer and 67 other species of game. I've hunted about 13 states, 2 Canadian Provinces and have made it to Africa 5 times. I'm pretty sure you can't teach me anything about "hunting basics" at this stage of the game. Come back and talk to me in 15 or 20 years.

Last edited by flags; 04-06-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's 17 yrs old. Flags PLEASE stop bragging about your 5 african trips, yet AGAIN,AGAIN,AGAIN and yet AGAIN! Outdoorlifestyle, your young, You should get more hunting knowledge before posting advice on youtube, in my opinion, keep hunting though bud!
Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some things you just learn the hard way, like always having a few rounds of ammo in your hunting jacket pocket, just in case you forget your ammo.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

gjersy, while taking into consideration the age of the op, the and the fact of the matter is that he has no information that is useful to hunters I believe the Op is misguided. Many if not most here have been hunting deer twice, or three times or more longer as the op is old. It is insulting to those of us who have earned our stripes as deer hunters to have a novice telling us what we need to be or do to be successful deer hunters. I have been hunting deer for in excess of 50 years, the OP's video is insulting to those of us who actually know what we are doing. I know everyone wants to be a youtube expert, however, you have to actually know something to be an expert, and killing a couple of deer does not make anyone an expert, it just makes them lucky.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-06-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right on Oldtimer, i agree, thats why i told him that he should get more hunting knowledge before posting advice on Youtube.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I agree that the OP'er is a little premature in making advice videos on subjects he does not know how to go in depth on, I think approaching this thread with the intent to inspire a young mind to seek out the appropriate information will do alot more then chastising him. If you start in on kids these days for some reason they begin to shirk away from these things.

P.S. He also demonstrates like every other teenager the attitude and mentality they all display at this age, and I am sure we all have been there thinking we know it all.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

olsalty, the moment I think I know it all, is the moment my wife reminds me I know little to nothing! Like most of our wives I'm sure.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Spike

Hello everyone, I understand that my video is premature and the advice that I give is not the typical basics you have while hunting. I now know I have to research more and do more homework. I understand that some of you guys have been hunting your whole life and it's a passion of yours. I'm learning each day more and more about the sport and it's just all part of the process and experience. I appreciate all the helpful comments and will use all your advice in my next video. I'm here to learn and see different ways people hunt and to learn from that. I'm sorry for offending you if I did and hopefully it does not totally take you away from my videos.

Dominic From Outdoor Lifestyle
Old 04-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Dominic you didn't offend me at all. Just keep hunting and have fun.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gjersy
Hey Dominic you didn't offend me at all. Just keep hunting and have fun.
Thank you I will its a passion of mine and I will learn and pick things up as time goes on. I appreciate it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.