Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Age

Old 02-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default Deer Age

Hey guys. New to forums and was wondering if someone could help determine the age of is deer. Doesn't have a large rack, but his spread is almost outside the ears and he has a nice sized body. I'm thinking he's at least 3 years old. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Deer Age-image.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a very big bodied deer to have such a poor rack. I'd guess from his body size that he's at least 3 1/2 unless there is awful good forage and minimal bad weather that he has to put up with. His rack also isn't nearly as wide as you think it is and it's very spindly.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-04-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Spike

Also, this is an Alabama deer.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Spike

Thanks Topgun. He doesn't have alot of good forage. He also appears to have a much larger body when comparing him to the other deer on the property, even ones with much larger racks. Here is another picture I think is him that shows a better angle of his rack.
Attached Thumbnails Deer Age-image.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say that is the same deer, as if you'll look closely his left ear is cut from a battle with another buck and it matches the first picture. He really looks funny in that second picture with such a big blocky body, but his legs look more dainty like they would be on a doe or much smaller deer. If he doesn't get any bigger than that and you seem him next year, I'd take him out of the gene pool.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are different deer, the fork is on the left side of the first one and on the right side of the second. Unless the pics are transposed somehow. First one looks to be 3.5 but cant get a good look at his nose, second one looks like a good 2.5 yr old.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:30 AM
fzo
Fork Horn

really nice
Old 02-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with Wilcam47. I don't believe they are the same deer. The first deer looks thicker throughout his whole body and the second pic looks smaller. And the horns don't look the same but that could be because of the angle of the first pic, but I don't think so. Anyway, the first deer looks to be atleast 3 1/2 years old or older. While the second one looks to be about 2 1/2.