Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Brand of Rifled Slug is Best? >

What Brand of Rifled Slug is Best?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Brand of Rifled Slug is Best?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Spike

Default What Brand of Rifled Slug is Best?

Howdy, question for someone who's got experience with different types of slugs.

I've got a Shotgun smooth bore in 20 ga and have only tried Remington Sluggers and the Winchester Super-X, never had good groups with the Winchester, but Remington have gave some good groups up to 60 yards, but wanted to get a few more options in different slugs, I heard good reviews on the Federal Truball slugs and couple other types. I know I need to try a couple of brands and see what my shotgun throws better but wanted to get your view on what you like best.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My 870 Slugger is rifled and I like the no longer sold Buck Hammers.

What is best is what gives you the best group from YOUR shot gun and meets YOUR expiation's on the game you shoot.

Al
Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is simple. Brenneke. They offer a few slugs in 20 gauge. The 2-3/4" K.O., which is closest to the Sluggers & Super Xs you tried. I think just those will be more accurate and consistent. Or you can move just a tad bit up with their 2-3/4" Heavy Field Mag and up from there is the 3" Magnum.

Check out their site and read around. They make great slugs and are priced good too IMO.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/filea...louge_2012.pdf
Old 01-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
This is simple. Brenneke.
I agree. No better slugs for a smoothbore.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

+1 on Brenneke
Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

+2 or is it +3 for Brenneke.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Spike

I've heard good things about Brenneke slugs, if you have used them before what are your groups at 50yards and beyond.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I agree. No better slugs for a smoothbore.

Been being the best.................And Still ARE !

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-30-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NYlongbeards
I've heard good things about Brenneke slugs, if you have used them before what are your groups at 50yards and beyond.
can you get a rifled barrel for your gun? i used to shoot all kinds of slugs out of my smooth bore back in western new york the brenneke are good but if you can go to a remmington copper solid with a rifled barrel and sabot combo man they hammer those deer like you won't believe ! anyway sorry i'm not trying to reinvent the wheel on ya just my experience. good luck !
Old 01-31-2015, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

the best is what your gun likes......shotguns are very iffy, we can have the same gun, same set up, and yours can like one slug while mine likes something else.....try a few brands, rifled slugs are cheap. Federal Tru-Ball seems to be the new thing for smoothbore shooters.

I would invest in a rifled/cantilever barrel, and use sabots......Big difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.