Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Brand of Rifled Slug is Best? >

What Brand of Rifled Slug is Best?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Brand of Rifled Slug is Best?

Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Spike

I think i'll go with the Federal Tru-Ball they're price isn't bad and I can find them on the shelf easier than Brenneke slugs, and heard really good things. also I did have a rifled barrel when I first bought my Mossberg 500 combo was excited about using it but when I found out how much those sabots cost I sold the barrel to get a scope for my muzzleloader, I realized I didn't really need a rifled barrel I hunt in very thick woods and was very tight on cash so I bought just regular Remington slugs got a total of 3 deer in two years with the Mossberg, I'll get a couple of different types of ammo and see whats best.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NYlongbeards
I think i'll go with the Federal Tru-Ball they're price isn't bad and I can find them on the shelf easier than Brenneke slugs, and heard really good things. also I did have a rifled barrel when I first bought my Mossberg 500 combo was excited about using it but when I found out how much those sabots cost I sold the barrel to get a scope for my muzzleloader, I realized I didn't really need a rifled barrel I hunt in very thick woods and was very tight on cash so I bought just regular Remington slugs got a total of 3 deer in two years with the Mossberg, I'll get a couple of different types of ammo and see whats best.

Thanks
Remember folks you do not have to use sabots in a rifled barrel. Just be sure to clean it real good. The rifled barrel will give your rifled slugs greater accuracy out to longer ranges than a smooth bore.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I never looked for best

You try it; it works good in your gun. The best might only be marginally better. You save time; save money. Game won't notice the difference.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:55 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Remember folks you do not have to use sabots in a rifled barrel. Just be sure to clean it real good. The rifled barrel will give your rifled slugs greater accuracy out to longer ranges than a smooth bore.
This is exactly what I did for years while I was still hunting with a Shotgun and it worked great for me. Like matt said, you do have to keep that barrel clean to get good accuracy, but a good quality bore cleaner makes this fairly easy to do. Don't believe any crap about "shooting out" a modern Chrome Moly barrel with soft, slow, low pressure Foster style slugs, it isn't going to happen. Out to 60 yards or so those big, fat 12ga. Fosters kill like the Hammer of Thor.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brenneke makes the best slug on the planet.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I also agree with the advice "what your gun shoots the best is the best" and follow this advice for all calibers. Accuracy is key! I have shot the brenneke with good results but with the rifled barrel the Remington copper solids are amazing. Copper solids in my Encore 20 gauge cover accuracy, distance, and terminal results!
Again, look for accuracy in your particular weapon and good luck!