Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Was your season a success?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any year I get to hunt is a great year. I don't really measure success by what I harvest. Had some great hunts with great friends and family. Nobody got hurt, we killed a bunch of deer to fill the freezer, and made some great memories.

There were some highlights....I did take 2 deer with guns that I've never hunted with before, so that was kinda cool. My son got a decent 8pt with his ML, first ML buck for him. We got 18" snow on opening week of WV deer season...well not sure if that was a highlight or a hassle.

Only regret I have, and I guess it ain't really a regret....I passed a nice 8pt on opening morning. Watched him for 20 mins 50yds away just hanging with a doe. Debated a ton whether to shoot him or not, decided I'd pass. Kinda kicking myself now, he was the biggest I saw all season - about like the one RR posted. Oh well, hopefully I'll run into him next year and he'll be alot bigger!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Every season I get to hunt is a success. Took me to the last day of the season to get a deer, a doe for the freezer. What happened in between made the season a success.
I'll go with this.

Especially true having taken the last two seasons off, basically. The deer schooled me this year and I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Some of you had some pretty spectacular seasons, looks like!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a lot of fun this year. Killed a buck and a doe. Ive got a pretty good 5 year streak going.

This is my last 5 years

The one on the left is from this year(on the couch).

Spent a lot of time with my wifes family in their little hunting shack that happens to be close to where I hunt and had a real good time. The little shack was the house my wifes grandmother grew up in and they manged get it back after it sold years ago. Really took me back to my roots with the old wood burning cooking stove and siphoning water in from the spring. It really reminded me of how I grew up and I love it. Generally I have kept my hunting to myself for my time away from people but I really had fun with the group and still got to go off to my own spot to hunt (my time)

I'm getting my daughter started next year so hopefully I can pass my luck on to her. She has been helping me after the kill for a couple years and earned a shot at getting out there and learning the rest.

I'm gonna do some outfitting next year so I probably won't get to hunt much but I'm looking forward hopefully giving some people the opportunities that the big outfitters in the area just don't.

Last edited by rockport; 01-17-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude, U from Rockport IL? My wife is from there.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Dude, U from Rockport IL? My wife is from there.
Yes I am. Big town of 80 people.

I'm sure I know your wife unless there is a big age difference.

Last edited by rockport; 01-17-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 PM
fzo
Fork Horn

i paused this season but i can't wait to restart next season
Old 01-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

I can't complain about the year I had. I bagged a spring and fall turkey, killed my September bear, got a cow and bull elk both in October, but failed to fill my December whitetail tag. Most important of all, I had a blast with family and friends during my 2014 hunting outings!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not quite done yet but so far it has been great. Freezer is topped out with fresh venison .... hunted a good one for 8 days and finally got him .... my tracking dog found several of my buddy's kills that they had not been able to locate .... and best of all I "guided" an 8 year old to his first ever deer kill, which happened to be a 6 point (3x3 for you western folks). At my age, may not to be many more seasons as good as this.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Looked like a great season for you and your son Tatonka
Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Spike

Had a great year! Got to hunt with my wife and with my daughter. Got my first muzzle loader buck and got this guy the day before Thanksgiving. (not as big as the ones you guys have up north, but a great deer for Florida).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.